Windows XP/Vista

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by themagicsquad, Apr 9, 2008.

1. themagicsquad macrumors newbie

I want to boot camp windows for games. I can't justify paying over say $50-60 for the horrid thing, just so I can play games. Any one know where I can get it cheap? any reason I need vista?

2. vanmacguy macrumors 6502a

I personally wouldn't go anywhere near Vista.

XP is about as good an OS as Microshaft has ever made. Excepting Windows 2000 which wasn't as good as XP for games but (IMO) is the best one they ever made.

Cheers.

3. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

Just google around for a OEM XP disk with sp2 on it

4. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

Yeah, avoid vista if at all possible, although if you are looking to play The Very Latest, you may have no choice.

XP is much more stable and isn't the resource hog Vista is.

5. Muncher macrumors 65816

Muncher

Well, you have no choice if you're looking for stability and reliability for running windows games. It's XP or nothing. If you want DX10, then you want Vista. If you just don't want to pay the money (c'mon dude, it's not that much), you might try out ReactOS. It's still in early alpha stages, but if your favorite game happens to run under it, huzzah! Also, since it's based on Wine, you could install that on a linux partition instead, which would probably be more stable.

Computers are expensive propositions. I would know, I'm still hurting from the iMac I bought last August.