Windows XP - which version

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Mary H, May 1, 2010.

1. Mary H macrumors regular

I have a legal copy of Win XP Pro 2002 and upgraded to Snow Leopard today - largely so I could put the XP onto my Mac. I need Windows for my accounting and my PC is dying.
    The Boot Camp says I need Win XP Pro with Service Pack 2. How do I know if my version has Service Pack 2?

Thanks, Mary

2. celticpride678

You should just attempt to insert the Windows XP disc into your Mac and see if the setup process will begin.

3. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

That's not the best advice, since many folks with SP1 or earlier can get the installer to run, but invariably run into trouble.

I'll try to find a way to detect which SP you have, but don't lose faith, if you don't have SP2 you can always add it via a process known as slipstreaming.

EDIT: SP2 was not released until 2004 so you should not use this disc without slipstreaming. Can you post a picture of the CD itself? (I've never seen a disc with the XP Pro 2002 marking

EDIT 2: Here is a link to a slipstreaming guide http://www.winsupersite.com/xp/sp3_slipstream.asp you will need either a PC running Windows, or to install your XP into a Virtual Machine on your Mac first. (I got most of it working in Darwine, but it's not worth it. Use VirtualBox or a trial of VMWare/Parallels).

B

4. Mary H thread starter macrumors regular

So, I take it from the link, I am basically making a new cd with the sp3 on it ... and I need to follow the directions very carefully. With the speed of my PC at the moment, I think that will be a job for next week.

I would send a pic if I could figure out how to get my scanner to work :( Although I am not sure how much would show up as it is a copper colour with the writing only visible in a tilt with the light shining on it and the colour windows logo if you look at it from the right angle :rolleyes:

5. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Effectively. You can do it on the Mac, using a virtual install of Windows. Vista and 7 allow for easy "trial" installs that could be easily used for this. Once you have XP installed are you planning to run it exclusively native via Boot Camp or will you plan to use virtualization at least some of the time...

Unless you have a Mac Mini or Mac Pro, you should have a camera... If the CD is not instructive, maybe the box would tell us more... There are so many permutations of Windows installers, each with their own quirks that it helps to have all the details.

B

6. Mary H thread starter macrumors regular

I haven't a clue. I know I like my Mac and wish I could have all my accounting on it. Unfortunately, my clients use QuickBooks and there is no Canadian version for Mac. So I will use whatever works best for that.
    So, I use my iMac for everything else.
    I don't have a box. I have the license envelope which doesn't say much of anything except the installation key. It is an academic version, if that explains it. We bought it at the college bookstore six or seven years ago.
    It has the Media Set number, the installation key and some other part numbers.
    It is Windows XP Professional English (Version 2002)
    I don't use the camera except for Skype so I don't think of using it to take a pic of something. All of the ones I have taken are not legible. I will try again after I close everything on my desktop.

7. Mary H thread starter macrumors regular

This is the best I could get.
    Mary

Attached Files:

8. Haruhi macrumors regular

It should say on the disk or on the case thatg the disk is in what service pack ity is. If, after searching the etnire case for aNY form of clue, you cna't find a service pack, it will be service pack 1.
    Bootcmap is veryh inconstistent

9. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

If all you want/need it for is quickbooks, why not just use it in a VM (VirtualBox/VMWare Fusion/Parallels) instead of Boot Camp. You won't have any issues using the copy of XP you already have and you won't have to reboot to access the accounting software when you are doing something else on your Mac.

Otherwise, slipstream first, then Boot Camp.

B