Windows XP with an external monitor?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by ghall, Sep 3, 2008.

1. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

I have a 22" external Samsung monitor and I was wondering how to either get it to work in clamshell mode or how to at least switch the Samsung to being the primary monitor. Thanks.

2. ghall thread starter macrumors 68040

ghall

3. ghall thread starter macrumors 68040

ghall

Ok I figured it out. I had to get the ATI control panel or whatever. At first I downloaded the Windows XP version, which is what I thought I needed because I'm using Windows XP. It wouldn't install, so upon closer inspection of the ATI website, it turns out I had to install the Windows Bootcamp drivers. From there I switched the Samsung to the primary monitor and disabled the monitor on my MacBook Pro. Even better, it switched seamlessly back to the MacBook Pro monitor when the Samsung is unplugged, and when the Samsung it plugged back in, it goes back to my custom settings. Yayness!

4. tallestof4 macrumors member

on my windows pc all i had to do was click ctrl and fsomething (i think it was f6) and it switched my main monitor with my extended monitor.

5. CWallace macrumors 601

CWallace

Apple does not have that functionality, so you need to enable it in the nVidia or ATI control panel applet.