Windows XP won't connect to the internet

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by alex.purple.mac, Dec 31, 2010.

1. alex.purple.mac macrumors member

I recently installed XP on a boot camp partition, inputted the network key and it won't connect to the internet. It says it is trying to acquire the network address. I've installed all the drivers and rebooted and everything seems to be ok.

Any help?

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Can you connect to a wired network and do all of the Windows Updates and Apple Software Updates?

Just for completeness, what router and form of encryption are you using?

B

3. alex.purple.mac thread starter macrumors member

Yep I've connected it to a wired network, and I've done all the updates. And the router is a huawei echolife hg532 that was free from our IP, with (I think) WPA encryption. The password I enter is accepted and correct.

Curiously, when I boot up into windows the little boot camp logo doesn't come up, volume / brightness keys don't work and the backlit keyboard doesn't come on. It's as if it is a normal XP installation, as opposed to a boot camp install, which is odd because I did run it through the boot camp program.

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Just to be clear, you inserted your OS X install disc after install and went through the driver installation process, right?

B

5. alex.purple.mac thread starter macrumors member

Yeah I did, i think all the drivers installed properly. The first time it would shut off half way through at the sound drivers so i wiped the partition and reinstalled, and everything else after that was fine, apart from the wireless connection.

6. alex.purple.mac thread starter macrumors member

Strange. When I booted into Windows today, the Boot Camp Control Panel was in the bottom corner where it should be, and the volume and backlighting all worked. However the wireless internet still didn't work.

Any ideas?

7. alex.purple.mac thread starter macrumors member

8. oasf macrumors newbie

just go to the adapter settings and configure the IP/DNS/Router settings manually...

9. jace88 macrumors regular

jace88

I wonder if it's just a dodgy install of the boot camp drivers. Were there any issues when you did the installation of drivers? Maybe try reinstalling them again.

Might also be worth trying to download the latest Boot Camp drivers for your particular Mac and installing those.