Windows

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Mr M5, Jul 25, 2011.

1. Mr M5 macrumors regular

Can you add windows via parells to an I pad the way you can to a mac?

2. likemyorbs, Jul 25, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2011

likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

....?

Yes but only after you buy the iPad external DVD drive.

But on a serious note, an iPad is not a Mac. It's a low power tablet that runs a mobile os. If you could install a full blown os on an iPad don't you think people would be installing Mac os?

3. Mr M5 thread starter macrumors regular

Microsoft windows, can you load it via bootcamp, parrells etc to an ipad?

I was looking at an ipad for work, but would have to have windows, no option.

4. KevinC867 macrumors 6502a

No.

5. Mr M5 thread starter macrumors regular

Didn't think so, just wanted to check. Thanks.

6. GoKyu macrumors 65816

GoKyu

The only thing you could do to "run" Windows on an iPad would be to sign up with LogMeIn (or a similar service) and then buy their iPad app. That would let you connect to and directly control a PC or a Mac *from* the iPad - but you can't actually load Windows into an iPad, that's impossible.

I use LogMeIn (logmein.com)'s free service to be able to connect to and control my Mac when necessary. But I find iOS to be pretty incredible for what it is - a mobile/tablet OS.

7. jsh1120 macrumors 65816

Apart from apps that enable remote login (such as LogMeIn and Splashtop) to a Windows system, your other option is to use Windows look-alike apps on the iPad (such as DocumentsToGo and QuickOffice.) You also have options in terms of managing email from a Microsoft Exchange Server on your iPad.

None of these options, of course, is ideal. If you're looking for tablet-like functionality in a Windows environment you can opt for a "convertible" tablet/laptop such as the Lenovo X220T (more expensive and heavier but a real laptop), get a Windows tablet (not recommended by anyone at this time) or wait and see what accommodations Microsoft makes for tablets in Windows 8 when it is released.

8. Meanee macrumors 6502a

No, cannot load Windows on iPad and most likely never would be able to. Win8 and jailbreak may change that (Win 8 rumored to support ARM SOCs).

In meantime, here's something similar to remote access http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldECHtfDyjs

Basically, if you have virtualized host, you can connect to it with this program. But same way you can connect to your Windows machine via Logmein.

9. Mr M5 thread starter macrumors regular

Got it, Sadly I have to have real windows all for just 2 program that has to be installed.

10. LiloThePleo macrumors 6502

Which programs? You might be surprised at the workarounds available for some things.

11. Mr M5 thread starter macrumors regular

Internet explorer for one. The other is proprietary software my company uses.

12. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

Waiting for m$ to get off their arses and make Office Suite for iPad!

13. TheSuperSteve macrumors 6502

Why didnt you just buy one of those Windows 7 tablets if you wanted a tablet with Windows in it? Like one of these: http://www.cio.com/article/614623/7_New_Windows_7_Tablets_In_Pictures

It just doesnt make any sense for me. That's like me buying an iPod classic and complaining that it cant make popcorn.

14. Mr M5 thread starter macrumors regular

That's pretty cool looking really. Out side of that I will say though I like the I pad, over all I like apple computers better than PC, it's not a matter of want, it's a matter of what I need for work. Ironicly enough outside of these two deals everything else works and at some point they will too, but that's up to IT.

15. JeepGuy macrumors regular

We have a few Intel Oak Trail based tablets where I work for legacy software running windows 7, they are horribly under powered, every action is a lesson in frustration as you wait for the system to react to your input. The only killer app that they really run is MS One Note.

16. jzuena macrumors 6502a

jzuena

It has since been pulled from the app store, but iDos is an iOS port of DOSbox, which lets you install DOS programs and older versions of Windows based on DOS. Not that even Windows 98 would run very well on an iPad, but programs like Civilization run (slowly) in iDos.

17. CHSeifert macrumors 6502

CHSeifert

Yes -most certainly, but only after you upgraded the internal flash to a Vertex 3 SSD ;)

Just kidding :D
    Calling earth - the iPad is not a mac or computer with normal OS !