Windows7+MacPro/ElCap= Black screen

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Dave 23, Jun 12, 2017.

1. Dave 23 macrumors newbie

I have a Mac Pro 3,1 running El Cap, been trying to install Windows 7 for days.... I have tried copying the contents of the ISO directly into the bootcamp partition,also tried the ISO disc in the optical bay,AND tried the bootcamp created USB installer- rEFInd see them all but I just get a black screen when I try to boot into any of them. Anyone got any ideas?
    TIA

2. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Have you just tried setting it up normally through BootCamp Assistant with a DVD copy of Windows 7 in the optical drive?

3. Dave 23 thread starter macrumors newbie

I think so- I've tried just about every permutation that involves the original windows7 DVD, an ISO created from it, a bootable usb drive created with bootcamp (although on another machine),and an ntfs formatted bootcamp partition made with Tuxera. Problem is the Mac Pro won't boot into anything except a Mac OsX partition.

4. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

At an absolute push you can try to take out the HDD and install Windows onto the BootCamp partition through a different computer, then put it back into your Mac Pro. The issue is that the system will likely BSOD when you try to boot into it, so you'll need to access the BT partition through Parallels on El Cap once you've done that (just install the Parallels trial) and then it should work from there.

I appreciate that's an absolute pain in the pansy but it should work if you're out of ideas.

5. Dave 23 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm going to try making a bootable usb via bootcamp(with modified info.plist) on the install machine (previous item was made by my other mac running same system) who knows it could be something stoopid...
    After that it's install via Virtual box though, I'm not sure I'm clever enough for that...
    This is nuts. I remember not long ago one of the selling points was-"Boot Windows on your Mac!" now apparently the word is "DON'T boot Windows on your Mac". News from Apple used to be what you can do with your Mac. Now it's- what you are no longer allowed to do with your Mac.
    Boo hiss. Apple is now officially Part of the Problem in my house.

6. Dave 23 thread starter macrumors newbie

(Sigh)... Ok that didn't work either.Thanks Apple- remind me never to upgrade again. VirtualBox it is then.