windowserver acting up...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by PeterQC, Dec 30, 2008.

1. PeterQC macrumors 6502a

PeterQC

I've made some research on this forum and on google but couldn't find help anywhere, so I'm asking here.

there's a process in Mac OS X called "windowserver" which is responsible for drawing the ui, from what I've read. Strangely this process is having is not acting well and is actually slowing down my system. It's taking alone about 50% of a processor every 2 to 3 seconds. During this time it goes down at around 3% but after it goes up and use half a processor, for nothing. I can actually sense it when I'm working under Photoshop or simply using my tablet, which is REALLY annoying. I can't solve it by rebooting. Does anyone has the same issue? Any answer to my problem?

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Is this independent of whatever applications you may be running at the time? Open Activity Monitor as soon as you boot and see what it has to say...

3. PeterQC thread starter macrumors 6502a

PeterQC

Restarted, and it is the same. The only apps open was Finder (obliviously) and activity monitor.

4. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Hmm, try creating a fresh user profile (with admin rights) on your computer and see if the problem follows you there.

5. PeterQC thread starter macrumors 6502a

PeterQC

I did, and it was normal.

But now I did found the problem. I modified the wallpapers setting recently, making them change every 5 secs. Look like Mac OS X don't like it.

Problem solved :)

6. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Aha! I'll have to make a note of that one. Thanks for sorting that out on your own, because I would never have figured it out. :D