WindowServer gobbling up CPU

Discussion in 'macOS' started by eji, Nov 3, 2007.

1. eji macrumors 6502

eji

Geez, this is killing me. WindowServer is just going nuts on my iMac G5, to the point where my fans are constantly at "wind tunnel" speed and everything is very.... slow... to... respond. The only apps I've got open are MS Word, Safari, Transmission and Entourage, and they're each eating 7% (or much, much less) of the CPU. Last night all I had open was iTunes and Transmission and the same thing happened, with the fans drowning out Beethoven piano sonatas playing in iTunes. The WindowServer process is running anywhere from 30& to 40%, though it does die down when I've just got Transmission running alone.

I've got the exact same setup on my iMac (Intel 2.0 C2D) at work, right down to the number of widgets and menubar items, and I don't have this problem. In fact, I've actually got 1GB more RAM on my home setup than at work, and still things are more responsive there.

Anyone else have this problem? Any guesses or tips toward a solution? I've got an out-of-towner visiting who's considering a Mac, and the speed of my system for simple things like Web e-mail checking is just embarrassing.

2. maxlew macrumors newbie

it spikes quite high for me when spaces is used try disabling that or dropping the amount of 'spaces'

3. eji thread starter macrumors 6502

eji

I should have mentioned that I'm still running Tiger. I'm using Desktop Manager, which is like Spaces, but I've been running it for years and have never had this problem before.