WindowServer memory leak?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by iChica, Mar 15, 2011.

1. iChica macrumors newbie

Hey everyone,
    I've noticed over the past few weeks that the process WindowServer has been slowly consuming excessive amounts of RAM. It started out around 100mb after a restart, and currently sits at 934mb usage, and climbing still. I've tried restarting the system multiple times, to no avail. What exactly is going on, and how do I go about fixing this problem?
    Thanks!

2. Detrius macrumors 68000

In the developer tools, there's a program called "Quartz Debug" which will show you the windows that each application has open. It will also show you how much memory is being taken by each window. It's far more likely that this "memory leak" (if it's a leak at all) comes from some other app than from the Window Manager itself, as Apple provides tools to look for memory leaks, and they're pretty good (though not perfect) at getting rid of the memory leaks from their own code.

3. a4226363 macrumors newbie

same problem

I have the same problem. It is a weird problem.

4. houlia macrumors newbie

Same problem. I am certain Google Chrome (perhaps the enclosed copy of Flash) is the culprit. Watching web-based video in full screen mode seems to be the quickest way to get Windowserver to surpass the 1 gig mark.

Also, simply logging out is enough, there is no need to restart.