Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

locash

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 7, 2006
I have a macbookpro 17 2gigs or ram with latest firmware.

I installed boot camp. did it by the book. 15gb partition. fat32 (quick). windows installed fine. installed my mac drivers. fine. then crashes every 30 seconds. ALL I WANT TO DO IS RUN BATTLEFIELD2!!!!!@!##!@#$! I went and bout xp home edition sp2 and bf2 just for this purpose.
I think it has something to do with my ati drivers. once it freezes sometimes it gives me this blue screen about some kind of error and has ati in it...cant remember right now.
i want this pain to end. :)
i tried bf2 with parallels but was told i cant ......cuz bf2 needs directx.

Turbojugend27

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2006
Nothing to do with M$ on this one, ATi's drivers are always terrible and cause strange errors. I have a notebook with an ATi card in it, after 3 years of working perfectly, sometimes video freezes, thanks to a bug in ATi drivers.

locash

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 7, 2006
anyone having this prob witha macbook pro 17? is there anything i can do? it makes it (running windoze) unuseable.

tipdrill407

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2006
locash said:
anyone having this prob witha macbook pro 17? is there anything i can do? it makes it (running windoze) unuseable.

lol i believe that wuz Microsofts goal.

locash

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 7, 2006
how can i uninstall my ati video drivers (not a pc guy). and what can i use as an alternative?

locash

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 7, 2006
i uninstalled and reinstalled my ati driver. got a little bit farther with battlefield. now i can get the game screen going but when i start the game it goes to a black screeen and then usually reboots itself....after giving me a quick blue screen.

ANYONE RUNNING BF2 AND MACBOOKPRO 17" ??

quiksilver858

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2006
locash said:
I have a macbookpro 17 2gigs or ram with latest firmware.

I installed boot camp. did it by the book. 15gb partition. fat32 (quick). windows installed fine. installed my mac drivers. fine. then crashes every 30 seconds. ALL I WANT TO DO IS RUN BATTLEFIELD2!!!!!@!##!@#$! I went and bout xp home edition sp2 and bf2 just for this purpose.
I think it has something to do with my ati drivers. once it freezes sometimes it gives me this blue screen about some kind of error and has ati in it...cant remember right now.
i want this pain to end. :)
i tried bf2 with parallels but was told i cant ......cuz bf2 needs directx.
i was concerded about that too so i researched it.. heres info that should get rid of the blue screens and crashes

Ensure stability. It's quite disconcerting when you inevitably get your first "Blue Screen of Death" (hereafter, BSOD) but there are ways to eliminate its dreaded appearance. First, know what works with your system and what doesn't. Apple's driver package takes care of a lot, but it doesn't address everything (most notably the integrated iSight camera on some Mac models and the Apple Remote). Once you're clear on what can be used, it's a good idea to take a trip to the Device Manager and disable anything that isn't recognized. The easiest way to do that is to right-click on the My Computer icon on the Desktop (fig. 1), select Manage, and then select the Device Manager from the left-hand side of the Computer Management panel. Any items that Windows XP doesn't recognize will be marked with a yellow "!" icon, and those are the items you want to get rid of (so to speak). Right-click on any of these items and choose Disable from the context menu (fig. 2).

fig01.jpg

Figure 1

fig02.jpg

Figure 2

Just taking this step will bring you a long way towards complete stability, but there's one specific item that can make the difference between utter frustration and as much bliss as one can muster considering that one is running Windows in the first place: the iSight. Let me explain: Intel Macs with built-in iSight cameras (MacBook Pro, iMac) can be inherently unstable until Apple provides support for the cameras. I had a horrendous initial experience—the system was pretty much unusable running Windows because of the pervasive BSODs. Apparently, the iSight camera was the culprit, as programs would attempt to access the sound drivers, which conflicted with the camera, and boom—everything goes kaput. After researching the issue a bit, it seems others were having similar problems. The solution is that when you boot from Mac OS X into Windows, you need to shut down the machine instead of simply restarting it—that way, the camera doesn't get initialized after a cold start and never has a chance to turn on under Windows. Since I've started booting that way, I haven't seen a single BSOD (knock wood).

Timepass

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2005
Turbojugend27 said:
Nothing to do with M$ on this one, ATi's drivers are always terrible and cause strange errors. I have a notebook with an ATi card in it, after 3 years of working perfectly, sometimes video freezes, thanks to a bug in ATi drivers.

he right. I learn it the hard way. Reformated my desktop about a year ago installed everything and then was doing an XP upgrauded install from XP pro to XP pro to get some CDkey issues fixed (I was borrowing a friends XP pro install disk because my OEM disk has been missing for a while and then downloaded a copy of XP pro though the school to do the install it all legal just getting around a few issues) but what I learn that ATI drivers mess around with some stuff and that dont allow for standard XP driver to work any more on the install (some missing file or something). Problem is it locks the reslolution like at 800x600 and you cannt install ATI drivers download off the net because of this missing file.

Took me 2 reformats to trace it down (just played Halo across the hall while it was doing it. Didnt really effect me. Only had to leave the room bettween games for 30 sec to hit next and stuff)

Delate the boot camp partitoin, remake the XP partition, star over on the install and then proceed to thank ATI for making you have to do it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.