WindozeXP - Sudden blank screen on bootcamp

Discussion in 'macOS' started by sOwL, Sep 26, 2009.

1. sOwL macrumors 6502

sOwL

Ok here's the situation. I've been using a Windows partition with no problems at all. I started also using it via vmware and i would boot into win XP from both bootcamp and vmware without any problems. Suddently, one day, it was like the display drivers just stopped working... The mac would boot to the Bootscreen, and after i choose the windows partition the screen remains blank (not just black, theres no signal sent to the monitor). I can tell that windows are running fine on the background, i just can't see anything. 2 notes here: in the past, again all of a sudden, the windows logo just dissapeared, it was blank, but after that i was able to see my desktop and work on it. One more note, in the past, yes yet again without any reason, the keyboard stopped working while in the windows partition.... i discovered that i had some windows updates left and not installed, i installed them and it fixed the problem. Windows are so weird... Got bootcamp 2.1 drivers, the latest ati drivers for my graphics card (although i can't reinstall them from vmware because ati can't see my graphics card :mad:)

2. xIGmanIx macrumors 6502a

That has nothing to do with windows and everything to do with apples crappy drivers.

Edit: if you have nothing important or all data is backed up, i would wax the bootcamp partition, ensure bootcamp is up to date and redo it. Then bypass apples drivers and go right to the vendor in bootcamp. then i would install your VM software using your bootcamp partition.

3. cjmillsnun macrumors 68020

Doesn't sound like it's anything to do with Apple's drivers.

To the OP, I generally find ATI drivers to be problematic in Windows, I have had a long history with them and prefer NVidia.

However you don't have that choice so I would recommend using solely the Apple Boot Camp 2.1 drivers. The reason being that OEMs (Including Apple) have the option to customise the drivers to work better with their combination of chipsets. I agree that the drivers will not be the newest or the quickest for Windows, however they are likely to be the most stable.

4. sOwL thread starter macrumors 6502

sOwL

The thing is that i needed the more options that the ATI drivers are giving me... Anyway i solved my problem. I uninstalled ati drivers then reinstalled bootcamp and voila i can see! Installed again the newest ATI drivers and everything is still working fine...