Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dythuger

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2012
Wine and Beer Enthusiasts

Oh, man... You are entering Beervana... Dozens of excellent microbreweries in Portland, and quite a few in Seattle.

I am pretty excited. We are visiting my sister in law in Portland. And whose husband is a sommelier that's opening a restaurant. They are really into the food and bar scene so it should be a really good trip.

The only one on my list is cascade. But there will be others. I was shocked when I saw how far Russian River was. I would love to go there one day but not feasible from Seattle.

Will just have to take a trip to San Fran.

Edit: fun fact. I just read that Yakima valley produces 78% of the nations hops.

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
A privilege of age. But, yes, I am in full agreement with you.

As a student, there are some (slightly embarrassing) memories (concerning consumption) that a veil is best drawn over; the sort of memories where quantity mattered, and quality was an, at best, optional extra.

Then, you age. You find that your capacity for enjoying drinking dross inexplicably declines. And you find that your palate has become somewhat more discerning. Naturally, this usually means that it costs more, as well.

And this means that it might help that usually you are paying for this, as, by this time in your life, some sort of income - scholarships, fellowships, miserable academic salaries, - or other means - usually accompany the development of a somewhat more discerning and sophisticated palate.

But yes. As I may have mentioned elsewhere, my cellar - here, at home, - and elsewhere - has been a source of quiet pride and considerable enjoyment. There are few pleasures in life to equal sharing a civilised glass of good wine or beer with congenial company.

And, I must add, the very best of one's cellar is wasted if not shared.

----------

I am pretty excited. We are visiting my sister in law in Portland. And whose husband is a sommelier that's opening a restaurant. They are really into the food and bar scene so it should be a really good trip.

The only one on my list is cascade. But there will be others. I was shocked when I saw how far Russian River was. I would love to go there one day but not feasible from Seattle.

Will just have to take a trip to San Fran.

Edit: fun fact. I just read that Yakima valley produces 78% of the nations hops.

Russian river, beer or wine, absolutely.

Gutwrench

Suspended
Jan 2, 2011
A while back some of you recommended the Trappistes Rochefort 10 and I tried it. At the time I thought it was decent but not great. I don't like dark beers much.

Well, I've had it several times since and really liking it. I picked up a six pack last weekend and plan to pick up six more today. At > $36 a six pack I can't keep this up for long.

I don't know if I should thank or cast a pox on you people!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 215

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Having a few Rochefort Trappistes 8 beers brewed by Brasserie Rochefort while reading my book.

Excellent. Enjoy.
A while back some of you recommended the Trappistes Rochefort 10 and I tried it. At the time I thought it was decent but not great. I don't like dark beers much.

Well, I've had it several times since and really liking it. I picked up a six pack last weekend and plan to pick up six more today. At > $36 a six pack I can't keep this up for long.

Whichever you think most apt in the circumstances……

However, is is always a privilege and pleasure to introduce others to the good things in life, don't you think?

In any case, I am delighted to learn that you are enjoying the Rochefort Trappist 10...

Like you, I didn't think I liked dark beers, either. It turned out that I was simply drinking the wrong dark beers…..

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
I've had the Trappistes Rochefort 6 and 8, with a 10 waiting for just the right moment to sample it..... I like the 8 better than the 6, I think, but both are delicious.

I sampled the triplet in order a few weeks ago and I think the 6/10 were my favorites. Not that I'd turn away the 8....

At this point I'm talking about differences in preference so small that normal variation caused by mood and context can change the order.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California

Thank us.... Stellar beers! :D

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Definitely, thank you. Big Tens all day yesterday and all afternoon today.

That looks like a most welcoming cellar, and a fine collection of utterly drinkable beers. Well, I hope that you thoroughly enjoyed them.

Tonight, I opened an unusual port I only came across yesterday, a 'Quinta da Gaivosa Porto 10 Year Old White' port. Now, while I've long known that Gaivosa do excellent ports, especially the aged varieties, this is the first time I have had the opportunity to sample an aged white.

Needless to say, given its promise and its provenance, its is superb.

Last edited:

Dythuger

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2012
I was able to enjoy a zombie dust yesterday that was bottled....yesterday. Very few of the 500+ unique beers I have tried can compare. Everybody should have access to a fresh high quality ipa (technically an apa).

Anybody in MI going to founders this week for KBS? My tickets are for Saturday. I have never been for the release party. Should be a good time.

Dythuger

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2012
Kbs party tommorow and spring has arrived. Should be an awesome day.

I believe skeptical thought he would like curmudgeon. Should be coming out soon.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426261629.066681.jpg

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Just sampled (and savoured, and sipped) a sublime port.

The name of the brand is 'Quinta do Noval', which is a a port producer whose products I have sampled, but, have not until now sampled this particular port.

Now, this is a Tawny Port, and the label informs us that it dates from 2000, which is one of the details worth noting. However, the really interesting detail - the one worth heeding here - is the word above both the date and the description of the type of port (Tawny Port).

This is the word 'Colheita'. In the world of port, this means a port made from the grapes of a single harvest, from a single vineyard, a harvest deemed to be extraordinarily good, and that, therefore, means that the date is the date of the harvest, not the date of the bottling.

While most ports are blended, a Colheita is a port from a single, generally deemed pretty outstanding, vintage. Thus, Colheitas will state a specific year - rather than saying, that this is a '10 Year Old Port', or a '20 Year Old Port' - on their labels, and may have spent up to 20 years in oak barrels before being bottled.

Their colour is no longer that dark, inky colour of young sharp ports, being more 'tawny' (or mahogany) in colour. But……..as something to sip and savour…..this is a wonderful, smooth, elegant, lovely port wine….

Last edited:

Dythuger

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2012
Discovered this outstanding chart so we can schedule our Founders purchases :D

... oh lordy, that small window for KBS ... :eek:

It's a good one. And my wife, after about 6 years, acquired a taste for it.

I'm so relieved I got an allotment through the brewery. It's such a bear to get it from liquor stores by me. I'd be lucky to go to 10 stores and get 2 bottles total nowadays. Wasn't always like that. But the game has changed.

Wirbowsky

macrumors member
Mar 12, 2010
Belgium

You remind me that I put one in the fridge yesterday to drink while I am working at home today. I will open it in a few minutes. Funny to think that being Belgian and living in Belgium, an US forum about Apple will make me open that bottle.

Gutwrench

Suspended
Jan 2, 2011
What does a six-pack of 10 cost there? I get it for a touch more than $6 a bottle here. I bought all they had on hand last week (11 bottles). Maybe they'll have more now. I really can't keep this up. I may need to go back to gin.

lowendlinux

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2014
Germany

Founders is yummy it's localish to me when I'm "home"

What does a six-pack of 10 cost there? I get it for a touch more than $6 a bottle here. I bought all they had on hand last week (11 bottles). Maybe they'll have more now. I really can't keep this up. I may need to go back to gin.

It's cheaper here but it's still pee in a bottle and not worth it. Someday the Belgians will learn to brew beer :eek: :p

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.

What a most interesting chart, and thanks for posting it.

While I have had beer (mostly Belgian and Trappist) for much of the past few days, this evening I sipped and savoured a bottle of Chablis.

This is a Chablis 1er Cru, from Vaillons and was characteristically intense, yet balanced, fruity with an underlying tempering acidity.

Gutwrench

Suspended
Jan 2, 2011
It's cheaper here but it's still pee in a bottle and not worth it. Someday the Belgians will learn to brew beer :eek: :p

After a disastrous first round Iowa has fought their way back into the tournament. They probably still won't win. So I'm off to buy twelve more bottles of the "pea in a bottle" in preparation for the semis and tomorrow's finals.

Edit: Fourteen. The Hawks better make it worth it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 57
Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.