Wine and Boot Camp trouble

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by -Ghost, Dec 11, 2010.

1. -Ghost macrumors newbie

Since I've had my imac (08), there've been games here and there I've wanted to play but couldn't. Every time one comes around that I want to play, I always try to get one of these two things working, never to any avail.

Boot Camp comes up with the same error every time telling me that I need to open Disk Utility and make my HD 'journaled', but it already is. And I really would rather not to be able to play a game than have to backup and install from disc and what not.

As for Wine, I'm pretty new to and don't really know my way around too much. I really just want to play the Beta for DC Universe, is this just not possible with Wine? It installed alright with an error coming up from an DirectX installer, but it didn't seem to affect it any as the DCUO .lnk appeared on my desktop and opens. BUT when I open it it just freezes on the Sony Online Entertainment logo.
    Is there something with Wine I'm supposed to do? Or will DCUO just not work with it?

I'm not much of a computer tech guy, so sorry for the noobieness here.
    Thanks for reading.

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

If Boot Camp Assistant is giving you an error that something is wrong with your filesystem, I would not ignore that. Something is wrong with your FS for it to be throwing an error.

Have you tried something as simple as booting from your OS X install disc and verify -> repair your Mac OS X partition?

Which Wine distribution are you talking about? Somethign from Codeweavers or some other source?

B

3. -Ghost thread starter macrumors newbie

I'll give that a try if I can find my disc. I know it's around here somewhere. haha Here's the full error btw:
    "The disk cannot be partitioned because some files cannot be moved.
    Back up the disk and use Disk Utility to format it as a single Mac OS Extended (Journaled) volume. Restore your information to the disk and try using Boot Camp Assistant again."
    Which I don't understand because I've gone to Disk Utility and it says that it's already a "Mac OS Extended (Journaled) volume".

Oh, my bad. I've got the Winebottler/Wine combo from I-cant-remember-right-now. Is there another Wine for OSX?

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

That's a different issue which has been covered in many threads. e.g. http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=191729 you may still be able to make it work by resizing your OS X partition while booted from the OS X install CD. and creating the Boot Camp partition manually.

Yes, Codeweavers offers Crossover Mac and Crossover Games commercially.

B