Wine for Mac OS X

ZicklePop

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 28, 2005
Where can I get a hold of a Wine for Mac or something like Wine for the mac without having to install a VMWare or VirtualPC like application?

ZicklePop

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 28, 2005
This is a page out of their FAQ:
Is the Darwin/Mac OS X release of Wine currently able to run Windows executable (.exe)?

No. We are currently working on integrating an x86 emulator in wine in order to run Win32 exe on a PowerPC Box. But on Darwin-x86 a Win32 .exe should run within wine.
Thanks for trying.

sakasune

macrumors member
Mar 12, 2004
Yeah, for now you have to use VMware or VPC. Until you get a Mactel or Darwine gets more development, those are your only choices.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
Well, after the Mactel-announcement I don't see how the Darwine people can maintain any sort of enthusiasm...

Wine will probably be one of the first ports for the new Mactels... without any need for x86 emulation... ;)

ZicklePop

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 28, 2005
sakasune said:
Yeah, for now you have to use VMware or VPC. Until you get a Mactel or Darwine gets more development, those are your only choices.
I was afraid of that..
witness said:
Someone gave me this link a few days ago: http://www.kberg.ch/q

It is VERY slow, but it works, it's very easy to use and it's free.
Thanks, I'll try it.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
Mitthrawnuruodo said:
Well, after the Mactel-announcement I don't see how the Darwine people can maintain any sort of enthusiasm...

Wine will probably be one of the first ports for the new Mactels... without any need for x86 emulation... ;)
Without the need for an emulator, Darwine will be much easier to finish. It will work much better. By what logic does producing a better product for less effort lower your morale?