Wine + ibook = flashing screen

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by hookem12387, Mar 13, 2008.

1. hookem12387 macrumors 6502

Well, a friend of mine spilled wine on my ibook g4. Other than trying to decide how much if not all of it to ask her to pay(my wine, but on an armrest and I was in the other room), I was wondering if anyone can fix suggestions. We got the battery out and it unplugged right away, but when I turn it on the screen violently flashes on and off. It does seem to run fine other than that, though. Any advice?

2. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

Let me finish your equation:

Wine + ibook = flashing screen + dead logic board

Unfortunately, this is the likely outcome of your spill. How do I know? I've done it before... :eek:

3. hookem12387 thread starter macrumors 6502

Hrm, thanks. That's what I was guessing. How much is that to replace? I'm trying to figure out if it would be easier to just get her to buy a new (used) ibook or what not

4. DannySmurf macrumors 6502a

Given that parts for PowerPC-based Macs are becoming more and more scarce, I would absolutely expect that it's cheaper (and probably faster) to buy a new computer.

Logic board replacements generally cost almost as much as the computer did new. For an obsolete machine that hasn't had spare parts manufactured for it in almost two years, you could easily spend far more than the cost of a new MacBook.

5. bluedoggiant macrumors 68030

bluedoggiant

I'm sorry, but looks like its the base new MB for you, the ibook has to go, I'm sorry, the logic board is dieing.

6. hookem12387 thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm just curious, since I don't think I'll charge her more than the price of the logic board repair, how much is that? Thanks. Also, looks like I may soon be in the market for a 12" ibook g4. Preferably the 1.3ghz version

7. bluedoggiant macrumors 68030

bluedoggiant

Are you sure you do not want to consider a macbook?

8. Stuart in Oz macrumors 6502

I feel your pain - I did the same thing only with a scotch and ginger ale, and it was to my one week old, just released, $6000 Titanium Powerbook. Not a good day looking back.

BUT - you may be able to save it. Mine died completely afterwards - no power, no screen. I was very scared. I took it to an Apple store within 12 hours of the spill and they kindly pulled the case off and dried all the moisture out with a hairdryer.

When it got to Apple central repair a week later (as they did things back then) I was only up for a new keyboard and DVD-ROM drive, which the sugar in the ginger ale had gummed up. They told me that it is not the liquid itself that kills the machine - it is leaving it there for a few days while it gets to a service centre which allows the circuits to begin corroding. They said that having the thing dried out straight away saved it. They told me of machines that have had orange juice poured through them that they were able to rescue - as long as they had been dried out promptly.

I gladly paid the $280 for a new keyboard and DVD drive and the machine is still happily working for my father, 7 years later.

So, dry it out! Take off the cover, get out your hair dryer and then send it for service. No guarantees but it is your best shot.

9. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Your ibook is a greedy bastard for drinking your wine. What kind of wine?
    Ok sorry, too soon for jokes?

12" PBs are kind of scarce too because they seem to be highly sought after even with the numerous updates we've seen since. Are you looking to not spend more than say $500 or is it that you just want something very small?

Also, while a macbook is great believe it or not some people just use their computer for e-mail, word/excel, and surfing the internet. :) A 12" PB would work well for that.

10. hookem12387 thread starter macrumors 6502

It was a merlot, and one that was a bit too fruity for my tastes anyway. And ya, I just need something to get me through a year, I graduate college next year and my parents will *hopefully* get me a macbook pro as a grad gift. I just want to spend around $500, get a new, used, 12"ibook and be happy with it for a year. Since this is just my "take notes on" the ibook is totally fine