WINE-like compatibility layer ... only "backwards"

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by bushidounohana, Jun 30, 2011.

1. bushidounohana macrumors member

So here's a "food for thought" sort of question ...

I've recently started toying around a bit with Wine and got to wondering -- has anyone ever attempted to make a comparable compatibility layer to run OS X apps on Windows?

Barring matters of legality and technical probability, this would seem like a brilliant and worthwhile endeavor for all the "Mac-curious" in the Windows world ... though I'd imagine for any number of reasons it may only ever be a matter of thought ...

Thoughts?

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

NeXT did it with OpenSTEP. Apple intended this to be a major feature of Rhapsody after it purchased NeXT. The cross-platform compatibility layer was to be the YellowBox. However, Apple decided to go in another direction. Rhapsody evolved into MacOS X. The YellowBox evolved into the Cocoa frameworks.

That said, the YellowBox concept lives on behind the scenes in Apple's Windows software. Safari, iTunes, the Quicktime Player? They are based on a cut-down version of MacOS X ported to Windows.

3. bushidounohana thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the insight, I've got a little reading up to do! I suppose that's where any broader efforts have stopped, then? Particularly those outside of Cupertino?