Wine question about games.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Konnor13, Jul 12, 2010.

1. Konnor13 macrumors newbie

so,i want to install wine so i can play my favourite RPG on my macbook,Fallout 3.but the only problem is,i've heard that the GOTY edition(game of the year)some time doesn't work with mac os x,or winebottler the program i will be using.I can get the GOTY edition really cheaply and this saves me a lot of money around £40,since i dont have to buy all the extras that come with it for £8 each.I was wondering if i should give it a go or if you guys know for a fact that it definitely doesn't work.Also,will the garden of eden creation kit(G.E.C.K) work with winebottler?Also,i wasn't sure if this was the right forum section for it,so apologies if it isn't.
    thanks for your time.

2. Konnor13 thread starter macrumors newbie

yes it does partly,because it tells me that the G.E.C.K is on the bronze list,but what i really want to know is will the game of the year edition run well on my mac,will i be able to install the DLCS?using winebottler that is.thanks for the help,any more would be greatly appreciated.:)

3. munkery macrumors 68020

munkery

Here is a better link from the wine website:

http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=14322

If you scroll down, it outlines getting DLC working using winetricks.

If you installed winebottler from http://winebottler.kronenberg.org/ then winetricks is included in the package and has an intuitive interface.

In the past performance of wine differed greatly between linux and mac but now the performance is equivalent so the instructions from the wine website should be applicable.

4. Konnor13 thread starter macrumors newbie

oh thanks,i downloaded winebottler last night,thanks for the info,i didn't realise winetricks came with winebottler.im still wondering though whether my mac is powerful enough to run fallout,since it's got 2gb ram and 2gb memory,so im not sure what's recommended for fallout,ill have to look for winetricks too lol.thanks again.do you know if Falllout 3 will work on a macbook pro with 2gb ram?

5. munkery macrumors 68020

munkery

Not much of a gamer so I don't know much about ram requirements for games. Sorry.

6. Konnor13 thread starter macrumors newbie

no problem,you've more than helped already :) i'll make another thread about it.Thanks again,the main concern at the moment is whether fallout 3 will work or not and if i end up wasting £20,lol.And whether or not i'll be able to use winetricks.