Wine running CPU to 100%

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mrrjj601, Mar 26, 2011.

1. mrrjj601 macrumors newbie

I installed office 2011 recently and when i use outlook I intermittently have problems where outlook freeze's up. When I check my processes Wine is running at 100%, after anywhere between 2-5 mins it's usage then drops and outlook then carries out the action that was requested before wine ran to 100%.
    I have looked online but cant find anyone else having this problem. TO me knowledge wine was installed when I installed office 2011.
    Thanks.

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

I can state with absolute certainty that Office 2011 does not require WINE nor is it installed when you install Office 2011. If you installed software that claims to be Office 2011, then rest assured it is not. Perhaps some fly-by-night operation packaged Office 2010 or an older version of Office:win with WINE in an effort to extract a small sum from Mac users in non-industrialized markets. The bottomline is that you have been defrauded. I don't know about the Philipines, but in the USA you may purchase Office 2011 directly from Microsoft via Internet download. It costs more than you paid for the fraudulent software that you are trying to use, but it does work.

3. mrrjj601 thread starter macrumors newbie

Maybe it is a coincidence wine is running at 100% during outlook 2011 use. I did have office 2008 installed before upgrading. My copy was purchased when I was home in UK and is straight out of my home town Mac store. Maybe Ill do a little research and see how I can find out what is utilizing wine and how it is running so high.
    Thanks for the response.

4. mrrjj601 thread starter macrumors newbie

Info for others who may find a similar problem.
    After completing a relatively easy search I have found it is actually Mackeeper and its real time protection that is using wine. Turned off real time protection and that's it solved, it must have been checking the emails new & old thus causing the system to stall. With 8GB of ram this is a thirsty app.

5. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

OK. There is no reason for a Mac utility to require WINE. WINE is a clone of Windows APIs. Seeing as how MacKeeper is a suite of security software that Mac users don't need, little wonder. Its "developers" used WINE to package a set of Windows utilities so that they can be sold to Mac users who don't know any better.

6. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

That kind of thing is appalling.

7. old-wiz macrumors G3

8. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

It doesn't.