WINE SPILL, about 8 keys not working..HELP!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by missmetz, Apr 2, 2012.

1. missmetz macrumors newbie

My boyfriend just bought a macbook pro off a friend and the first night i spilled wine on it. He took it on his holiday the next day and discovered about 8 keys or so are not working. Which happens to be the keys in his password, therefore he cannot get in at all. We have goggled it and various responses have come up. Can anyone give me some advice? he wants to take it apart and clean it with a q-tip but we opened it up and it just looks complicated. any help would be ideal. thanks. Everything else seems to be working so far.

2. DougBookPro macrumors newbie

Ouch! :( I’m not sure a q-tip is going to fix your problem. Unfortunately, the wine and it’s sugars may have found it’s way into just about any or all of the underlying components. Obviously, your best bet is taking it to an Apple store and see what they can do for you. Good luck!

3. njean777 macrumors 6502

Take it to the applestore, and next time dont drink around it, you have already proven you are not capable of doing that. Not trying to be a dick, just advice for the future.

4. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

Sorry to hear :(

Cue tips are not going to do it. As a general rule, when a spill happens, the computer is often damaged for good. If you do not follow a certain protocol, then it is usually a goner. The protocol I speak of can be found here: ( http://guides.macrumors.com/Spilled_Liquid_On_My_Mac_or_Keyboard ). Wine will leave a residue upon drying that cue tips will not remove. If you have tried to start the computer since this, which it sounds as if you have, then the odds of it ever working right are low. More than likely, parts will need replacing. If nothing else, they will need a certain type cleaning, which I would not advise doing on your own. As said, an authorized Apple Service Center is probably your best bet, but if the computer was under warranty, it is voided as the warranty does not cover water damage. However, a homeowners policy can cover this, but if that is worth it is up to you.

5. roofz macrumors regular

take it to the apple store and see what they can do for you.

6. missmetz thread starter macrumors newbie

everyone is so friendly here :) thanks for the advice. I think we will try to buy a new internal keyboard and get it installed? hmmm hope that works.

7. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Let's get to the important information, what kind of wine?

8. scott.n macrumors 6502

In the meantime, you can use a USB keyboard or a Bluetooth keyboard to login and use the Macbook.

You don't need an Apple keyboard or anything like that, a $10 USB keyboard should work fine.

9. /user/me macrumors 6502

hopefully a good cabernet. :)

10. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

I would first get it checked out and properly cleaned if necessary. It's all well and good replacing the keyboard, but you can't cover up the potential monster that lay beneath and pretend all is well.

11. scottness macrumors 65816

scottness

I hope it was cheap wine. Hate to waste a good wine on a keyboard.

This would be the easiest, though inconvenient. Good luck!

12. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Wine -= corrosion=dead Logic Board. Take it back to Apple, and keep your wine glass away from the Mac.

Golden rule of mine.NO food or drink near any of my devices....Ever.

13. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

I have a better golden rule for me: don't spill food or drink on them. Every time I pick up a cup around my MacBook I am very conscious of my movements. No problems.

14. scottness macrumors 65816

scottness

Just curious… which glass of wine was this? 3rd, 4th, 5th? :D

15. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

:D:D Not helpful, but amusing.