Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Solomani

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
… and finally…. after 45 centuries (ok a slight exaggeration) …. a "retro arcade flight combat sim" is making a re-appearance on Mac and PC! And not just any classic, this is a beloved Amiga classic to boot!

Been ages since I've seen this category appear on OSX, retro flight combat sims like Red Baron games. X-Plane for Mac doesn't count, as it is not really a combat flight sim. Nor is X-Plane a retro arcade classic. :p

Welp, just found out through the (already funded Kickstarter page) that the Mac version of Wings Remastered, which technically failed to achieve the Stretch Goals for MacOSX port….. the Kickstarters that did the project decided to go ahead and green-light the Mac version anyways, since the Mac stretch goal was short by a paltry few hundred dollars :D And according to website… Mac version is coming very soon after the PC release, which was just this week.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/850516062/wings-remastered-edition/posts

Also according to their website updates, they are just sending out the initial Mac version to Kickstarter backers already. Hence… the MacOSX retail or public download/purchase versions will be out fairly soon for Steam, GOG, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CA2qDic9QY

old-mac-man

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2012
Mind your own business.
The Mac stretch goal for Wings was reached through post KickStarter Paypal donations.

That's why I was flying above the trenches yesterday attacking the enemy in the sky and on the ground. Wings remastered has already arrived for this Mac user and I'm having a blast!

Solomani

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
The Mac stretch goal for Wings was reached through post KickStarter Paypal donations.

That's why I was flying above the trenches yesterday attacking the enemy in the sky and on the ground. Wings remastered has already arrived for this Mac user and I'm having a blast!

Yeah, I saw that the Mac stretch goals for Kickstarter was "short" by a mere couple thousand dollars. I'm glad they pulled through and went ahead with the Mac stretch goal anyways through the post-Kickstarter campaign.

I have missed playing the WW1 biplane games since the Red Baron PC games in the 1990s. This game looks like a blast! Will be buying my copy when Mac version arrives publicly in Steam, GOG or Humble.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.