Home Wink hub with Hue bulbs? do you need hue hub?

Discussion in 'HomeKit, HomePod, CarPlay, Home & Auto Technology' started by x-evil-x, Aug 29, 2016.

1. x-evil-x macrumors 68030

x-evil-x

I know that they sell the hue bulbs with the hub but i think they sell individual bulbs. I have a wink hub that runs all my other stuff can i just use that with the Hue bulbs?

2. HerdJC macrumors member

HerdJC

I believe the Hue bulbs rely on the Hue hub to work properly even if you do have a Wink hub. I recently transitioned my Hue hub and bulbs off of Wink and use them exclusively with HomeKit now.

3. x-evil-x thread starter macrumors 68030

x-evil-x

You can't add just the bulbs to the wink hub?

Attached Files:

4. HerdJC macrumors member

HerdJC

No, the Hue bridge is a requirement for Wink.

5. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

I don't know about the new wink hub but the first ones sucked. Hue hub is really fast and can control lights in real time. That's why you can use it with music. I use the hue hub to control the hue bulbs I also use the smartthings hub to control hue. I gave away all the wink bulbs they just sucked.

6. x-evil-x thread starter macrumors 68030

x-evil-x

I have tons of different zwave devices I have linked to it. They had a rocky start but last year has been good. Quick controls on control center and my Applewatch. No complaints with the system. Control my best and 6-7 lamp modules/ track light and kitchen light. I use my harmony to control the other z-waves. I like one button and everything turns on from that.

7. brianbunge macrumors 6502

brianbunge

I've been considering the Wink Hub with a Harmony Hub and one of the home security kits such as the GoControl product. The early reviews that were pretty bad have made me skeptical, but then I haven't seen many reviews that are recent. I did read one review that said they preferred the Wink Hub over SmartThings simply because of the better UI with Wink. I'm having a bit of analysis paralysis between the two. I already have some Hue bulbs, 2 Blooms, and 3 switches along with a Nest thermostat. I'm just trying to decide what will work best for me...

8. x-evil-x thread starter macrumors 68030

x-evil-x

there was some initial issues but the last year has been good and the updates keep getting better. Once they added the quick controls I've loved it. There is a small lag(1 second) between turning things on and off but i don't mind it. I don't control lights based on music so its not a big deal.

9. brianbunge macrumors 6502

brianbunge

Does it also work well with multiple users? I thought I saw somewhere that that was a problem, but maybe I'm wrong. I have a wife and teenage daughter so just wanted to make sure.

10. x-evil-x thread starter macrumors 68030

x-evil-x

That I'm not sure its just me. I have proximity set up for when i leave and come home(auto off everything and kitchen light/living room lamp comes on) i can see how it would be challenging for multiple users if you use that.

11. brianbunge macrumors 6502

brianbunge

Can you use door/window switches as triggers to do things such as turn on lights with Wink? That would make it a non-starter if not.

12. x-evil-x thread starter macrumors 68030

x-evil-x

Looks like you can. Add it then set up robots to automate what you want it to do based on location
    --- Post Merged, Sep 1, 2016 ---
    What I have set for on

Attached Files:

13. brianbunge macrumors 6502

brianbunge

Perfect! OK, I might make the Wink Hub, Harmony Elite, and maybe a GoControl starter kit a priority in October. Maybe even an Amazon Echo, although I'd prefer the Dot if it's ever available again.