Winner of 'Celebration' Apple-1 Auction Was Prepared to Pay $2 Million for 'Holy Grail of Computers'

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 29, 2016.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

After placing the winning $815,000 bid on the rare "Celebration" Apple-1 computer last week, Glenn Dellimore spoke with Business Insider about his reasons for purchasing the computer. Dellimore made the decision with his wife, Shannnon, and the two were not only prepared to pay up to $2 million for the piece of Apple history, but both see it only increasing in value over the years.

The Dellimores -- who founded the Hollywood skin care brand Glamglow, now owned by Estée Lauder -- think that in around 10 to 15 years, the Apple-1 sold by CharityBuzz "could be worth as much as a Monet or Picasso." The rarity of this particular Apple-1 is doubled by the fact that it started as a "blank original-run board," that was never meant to be sold to the public and was not from a production run, potentially making it one of the first Apple-1 computers ever made.

[​IMG]
    Shannon and Glenn Dellimore

The current plan for the Apple-1 is for it to be displayed in a museum, and Glenn Dellimore hopes that the computer, which he refers to both as a "piece of history" and the "holy grail of computers," will be used to help educate younger people. Ultimately, Dellimore said that "the possibility of it being the number one, the very first prototype that Steve worked on, and with the way over time Apple has changed the world, this computer is the holy grail of computers, it is the most important computer on the planet, I think."

Article Link: Winner of 'Celebration' Apple-1 Auction Was Prepared to Pay $2 Million for 'Holy Grail of Computers'

2. KeyMs92 macrumors regular

Would be a shame if it turned out there was one earlier prototype hehe.

3. radiology macrumors 6502

radiology

Congrats for the sellers and buyers. A great cause is being helped. Plus, this couple is right on the potential value of this machine in years. No wonder they are so successful.

4. jayducharme macrumors 68040

jayducharme

There just might be. The person who might know would be Wozniak. I'm surprised he hasn't yet been interviewed about this purchase, and he's said relatively little beyond acknowledging that no blank boards were sold.

5. nicho macrumors 68020

i imagine the Dellimores' lawyers might have approached him already.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Wow, I don't know. I guess on one hand, its cool to own such a nice piece of history, but on the other hand, that seems like a ludicrous amount of money.

7. SandboxGeneral Moderator emeritus

SandboxGeneral

I bet Woz never would have dreamed the early computers he was hand building back then would ever be so valuable and be sold at auction with ideas of spending up to $2 million for one.

8. derbladerunner macrumors 6502

Now here is finally someone who needs (and can pay for) inflight Internet service :)

9. dmylrea macrumors 68030

dmylrea

The decline in the perceived value of Apple seems to extend to auctions of rare Apple memorabilia now. From $2M down to a paltry $815K. And the new owner thinks it will be a Monet or Picasso in 10 years? Not if Tim Cook has anything to say about it-- He's not finished ruining Apple yet.

10. ArtOfWarfare macrumors G3

ArtOfWarfare

That's more than ludicrous. Ludicrous P100D Model S is only $135K.

If I had the money he spent on that computer, I'd probably buy a house twice as large as what I live in now (outright - no mortgage), a P100D for me and my wife, and a vacation home in Hawaii or something.

11. thisisnotmyname macrumors 68000

thisisnotmyname

Wait, but he was out bid (by about $300-400k at $1.2MM) and that bid was retracted, so he wasn't really willing to go higher then was he?

12. miknos Suspended

miknos

But the buyers probably already have all that. All the things you mentioned (maybe apart from the house) will lose value. Buyers bought like it was a piece of art (something scarce).

An analogy would be if you bought that Tesla. For $135k I could buy a Corolla, a Harley, a week screwing ladyboys in Thailand, a penis pump and hire a personal trainer for my wife (anniversary sex is too much for me). The rest I could save for retirement.

13. Waxhead138 macrumors 6502

Lol yeah. Little do we know that Woz is sitting on a few still in his garage, waiting for the right moment. Funny thing is he'd probably give them away rather than sell them at these prices.

14. Sefstah macrumors 6502a

Apple charging a premium for outdated hardware again. This is getting ridiculous!!

15. jiggad369 macrumors regular

jiggad369

16. RightMACatU macrumors 65816

RightMACatU

Hands down the winner of the best comment of August :D

17. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Agreed. That was funny.

18. Analog Kid macrumors 601

Analog Kid

Yeah, everything I just read says he's already starting the process of hyping it up to increase its value. It's "possibly" the first prototype, touched by Steve's hands (I'm assuming he means Jobs, because we know all of them were touched by Woz), that he would have easily paid more than twice as much for but didn't...

He's trying to put a little Glamglow on his new purchase, I'd say.

19. Kajje macrumors 6502a

Kajje

You know I think you're spot on with this comment!

If I had the very first prototype (which I don't)
    I'd also offer 800G's (which I don't have)
    Put the prototype on auction - it will fetch 2 mills
    And finally get rid of this current model for a bargain 500G's.

The couple probably have far more ethics as I do. And far more money.
    I'd be already happy if me and my friend mr. credit card survive the Watch/Macbook lineup update next month.

20. parkkis macrumors newbie

parkkis

Really want to see Woz interviewed with this prototype in Youtube :)

21. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

Woz should build new Apple II class machines again. I would buy an Apple II today even at current PC prices just to experience those days again.

22. kdarling macrumors P6

kdarling

First university coding class = 47 years ago
    Ha. Like pumping out Picassos :)

This makes me wonder if anyone has tried to make a counterfeit Apple I and sell it yet?

The reward would certainly seem worth the (comparatively minor) effort.

--

As for future value, I think things like this will drop in the coming decades because they'll have much less meaning to future generations.

I'm already seeing this with slide rules, which for a while enjoyed quite a rise in price as us older guys started collecting them. Just a decade later, high prices are no longer the norm, and I don't see bidding wars on eBay as much.