MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The winners of the 13th annual iPhone Photography Awards have been announced today, following submissions from thousands of photographers from around the world.

flying-boys.jpg
Grand Prize Winner "Flying Boys" by Dimpy Bhalotia

Dozens of photographs taken via iPhone were chosen as winners, with the grand prize going to street photographer Dimpy Bhalotia from the United Kingdom, for her photo called "Flying Boys."

iphone-photo-awards.jpg
"Tower 11" shot on iPhone X by Bill Marson

Follow-up winners include Artyom Baryshau from Belarus with "No Walls," Geli Zhao from China for an untitled image; and Saif Hussain of Iraq with "Sheikh Of Youth."

iphone-awards-dog.jpg
"The Empty Quarter" shot on iPhone X by Ana Aiko

In total, the iPhone Photography Awards gave out awards to photographers from Australia, Bahrain, Belarus, Canada, China, Colombia, France, Hong Kong, Italy, Iraq, Israel, Japan, Netherlands, Peru, Philippines, Portugal, Singapore, Spain, Taiwan, the United Kingdom and the United States.

You can view the full collection of winners on the iPhone Photography Awards website.

Article Link: Winners Announced for 13th Annual iPhone Photography Awards

Reactions: BigSur and WildSky

jntdroid

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2011
What I like about these competitions is seeing how many of the top photos (or even winners) are using 2-3 year old iPhones (and sometimes older!).

Comment

Marli

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2011
The photos are pretty average, I would say straight off camera.. if these won, the entries must have been pretty average..

Reactions: Huck
Comment

cupcakes2000

macrumors 68020
Apr 13, 2010
is it wrong for me to assume that these are edited photos?

Why would it be wrong, why would you assume and what difference would it make anyway?

The photos are pretty average, I would say straight off camera.. if these won, the entries must have been pretty average..
Art is completely subjective, but I think the winner has a pretty decent photograph there. I would have preferred the people to have been spaced out rather than overlapping, but that’s just my thought if I took the picture. Far and away from average anyway.

Comment

TVreporter

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2012
Near Toronto
The winning photo doesn't even look like it's in focus...

Decent photos but not something I would have said would be winners of a worldwide contest.

Comment

cupcakes2000

macrumors 68020
Apr 13, 2010
The winning photo doesn't even look like it's in focus...

Decent photos but not something I would have said would be winners of a worldwide contest.
Seems well focused to me. But I dare say you’re zooming in and trying to pixel peep a low quality internet thumbnail and mistaking the lack of defined edges for it being out of focus.

Comment

ck2875

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2009
Brighton
is that a malnourished dog?

I mean it is stuck in a desert.

I'm just impressed they were able to get the dog to lay down long enough to get the photo and not have a million footprints in the sand (queue "Siri, play 'Footprints in the Sand' by Leona Lewis").

Comment

boswald

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2016
Florida
I don't know anything about the dog's breed, but just at first glance, it looks underweight.

Comment

Expos of 1969

Contributor
Aug 25, 2013
Why do you not show the winning photos which you write about rather than other photos? Have a look at how 9to5mac does it correctly.

Comment

ErikGrim

macrumors 603
Jun 20, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
  • Wow
Reactions: amartinez1660
Comment

Kabeyun

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2004
Eastern USA
I like Flying Boys and The Empty Quarter, not that keen on Tower 11 - it looks like most photos at the beach during sunset.
Beat me to it. The lifeguard tower thing is pretty prosaic. I must have a dozen like it in my photos library. The other two photos are excellent.
[automerge]1595502241[/automerge]
What’s your/their point? The contest has a paltry entry fee, and in the author’s opinion the prizes aren’t big enough? This is supposed to make us wary of something? Is there an obvious huge scandal I’m missing here?

Last edited:
Comment

Kabeyun

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2004
Eastern USA
is that a malnourished dog?
umm thats Sluki needs some food....
I don't know anything about the dog's breed, but just at first glance, it looks underweight.
Right. I'm surprised Apple let someone win with a photo of a dog that looks like it's on the verge of death.
Saluki's are thin to begin with but yah, thats a little too much.
Pretty sure that’s not a Saluki. Saluki ears are frizzy. It looks much more like a Greyhound or Sighthound...which are that thin. If the photographer stated it’s a Saluki, then my bad.

Last edited:
Comment

cupcakes2000

macrumors 68020
Apr 13, 2010
What’s your/their point? The contest has a paltry entry fee, and in the author’s opinion the prizes aren’t big enough? This is supposed to make us wary of something? Is there an obvious huge scandal I’m missing here?
Exactly. A good many decent photo comps require an entry fee. It’s hardly rare and hardly an issue for a serious photographer. The article the op linked is just an exercise in Apple bashing.

Reactions: Kabeyun
Comment

Kabeyun

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2004
Eastern USA
I own a saluki and thats one, they are known as Arabian greyhounds.
It also looks almost exactly like my brother’s greyhound. Regardless, they’re both large, historically desert sighthounds and, to the point, with a normally thin habitus that doesn’t mean they’re starving to death, as was suggested here.

Comment

citysnaps

macrumors 604
Oct 10, 2011
San Francisco
It also looks almost exactly like my brother’s greyhound. Regardless, they’re both large, historically desert sighthounds and, to the point, with a normally thin habitus that doesn’t mean they’re starving to death, as was suggested here.

So Apple doesn't promote animal cruelty after all? It's now getting to be slim pickings coming up with a good Apple moan.

• Haha
Reactions: Kabeyun
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.