Winning over students - battle of the giants

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by ps88jk, Apr 3, 2010.

1. ps88jk macrumors newbie

Lately I've been seeing Apple around my college campus quite a bit trying to sell us macbooks and ipods :apple: :D

Looks like Microsoft are trying to step up and be more like Google and target students -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBfN1Y5_cCg

Interested to know what you think about Apple winning over students - are they doing a good job? :confused:

2. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Even back before the Intel switchover a lot of my course mates had Apple laptops. In one study group 6 of us had either an iBook or Powerbook and only 1 had a PC laptop. I believe Apple always had a good hold on students. They make easy to use, high quality products.

If I was back at university now I'd grab myself a cheap gaming PC and a Mac laptop and be happy ever after.

3. instaxgirl macrumors 65816

instaxgirl

Macs are still very much the exception at my university. Sure they're around, but there are way, way more PCs.

You're far more likely to have 1 mac user in a study group at my university.

4. ps88jk thread starter macrumors newbie

it's clever of Microsoft to make a video like that, really connects the students

5. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

I wouldn't say they are doing a good job and I haven't seem them do a good job since the late 70s/early 80s when Apple was synonymous with the word education.

But these days, who can compete against Windows? Graphic design students and audio engineering students pretty much all have Macs, both laptops and workstations. Those are two groups of students who I have seen that overwhelmingly have Macs and I would say almost to a fault they consider the Adobe Suite or Pro Tools as being better with OS X.

One PC audio engineer I know uses PCs and freely admits that Macs are better and more trouble free, but he's OK making good money and using Windows and recording musicians, and he also admits it's because he has become so good at working out the bugs in Windows and his setup brings in pretty good money, so why change is his reasoning? I don't fault him as he is the go-to guy for recording.

He doesn't want to relearn the operating system thing at this stage and work with OS X since he's probably almost PC technician level, and this late in his career he's the highest paid musician, by far, in my county.

But for anybody starting out as a graphic designer or audio engineer via pro tools, it's foolhardy to get a PC running Windows when OS X is much easier to learn and maintain.