WinPE from USB on Mac

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by lembi2001, Feb 8, 2010.

1. lembi2001 macrumors newbie

Hi all

I am a complete Mac Noob and everything i have learnt has been in the last 4 days through extensive and mind numbing research on the Internet. I have finally succumbed to asking for help here!!! lol

I have been able to create a usable version of WinPE on CD for use on a colleagues Mac. I know that Macs don't natively support USB Booting however i have managed to get my USB Deivce recognised at boot through the use of rEFIt. Couple this with a grub.efi loader and i should be able to boot a windows installation from my USB device (yes/no).

Everything i have tried so far has failed miserably with the following error:

cannot load image

From this i can see that rEFIt and Grub are working together but i am unable to load my WinPE installation. does anyone have any ideas how i can get this working or if it is even possible. (I am not afraid to try complex things as long as they are written clearly!!!)

Thanks

Leighton

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

I don't have a solution, but am interested in others' experiences with Win PE on their Macs so I'm bumping the thread.

Actually I believe that all but the earliest 2006 Intel Macs support booting OS X from USB just fine. It's Windows that doesn't like USB, which is why you end up needing PE to begin with.

B