WinSCP doesn't work

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by loyalspirit, Feb 24, 2011.

1. loyalspirit macrumors newbie

Hello I am using an iphone 3gs version 4.2.1 and it's jailbroken

I downloaded openSSH, Automatic SSH, and toggle SSH from Cydia. I went to toggle SSH app and clicked on Enable. I installed WinSCP on my Windows 7 computer. I connected to my wifi network, I took the IP address from the wifi screen, entered that ip address in the host name in the WinSCP program, username: root || password: alpine.

I clicked on login and it shows "server unexpectedly closed network connection. Why can't I get this thing to work?

2. loyalspirit thread starter macrumors newbie

3. kre62 macrumors 68000

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

It works, try a few more times.
    It does that to me too for the first time.

5. imalazeeass macrumors regular

Make sure your phone is on the home screen when you are connecting and not in a locked mode.

6. calvy macrumors 65816

or it can be charging and locked and still accept ssh connections.

Also, the first connection you make a security certificate will be generated, and this can take some time.

7. los318 macrumors 6502

los318

SSH is over rated..just because its wireless, doenst mean its better.

Get IphoneExplorer it's the same thing, no logging in like WinSCP and since its plugged into your computer, it'll charge at the same time and you can back up and use Itunes at the same time.

I

8. calvy macrumors 65816

That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. SSH isn't overrated, it's just too complicated for some dipsticks to figure out. One method is not better than another. It is simply what you are more comfortable with. As a linux guy, I prefer ssh

9. los318 macrumors 6502

los318

I didn't know it was wrong to have an opinion. SSH is very easy to work. I used it for a week or so a lot But other options are quicker and serve multiple purposes at the same time.

Let me know when SSH can charge and backup my phone at the same time I'm modding files and I'll check it out. Everyone raves about it but honestly it's got nothing over a normal wired connection for now. Just keeping it real without resorting to name calling....