WinTech Preview hosed my Mac install, bad very bad

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by IffySituation, Jan 2, 2015.

1. IffySituation macrumors member

Hey all I used boot camp assistant to install win10 on a 40gb partition and it blew away my 10.10.1
    Now using a 10.10.0 usb installer from DiskMaker X
    The installer does not see the OEM 500GB drive in my MacMini
    So now I'm installing 10.10.0 from the net on an external drive in hopes of being able to "see" the F'd drive and format and install 10.10
    How the F did this happen?

2. OneAnswer macrumors member

You mean you cannot see the drive in Disk Utility when using the installer?

3. IffySituation thread starter macrumors member

No not at all

----------

(Edit) It just shows it as "media" without any size or type and it doesn't offer options to erase and format

I tried this just to see what windows was like, I have never used a window machine ever, been a Mac user since 1996

I thought BootCamp Assistant would take care of it

Just wanted to see what steam and minecraft was like

4. IffySituation thread starter macrumors member

No it's complete hosed absolutely nothing. Is there a terminal route I can follow

Someone help plz

----------

Help any ideas?

----------

Uh is anyone out there?

5. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I don't think the Technical Preview messed up your install but rather that you chose the wrong partition and formatted it. Is OS X appearing if you hold Option at boot?

6. IffySituation thread starter macrumors member

No
    When BootCamp assistant offered an amt of space to be chosen, I picked 40GB FOR THE win10 partition and clicked yes/confirm whatever and it immediately attempted to boot into the WININSTALL I created on a usb drive
    It then showed a screen that was a bit distorted and did not show my full screen and was a bit blurry, it then asked which partition I wanted to install win10 onto, among the choices I could see my TM and archival drives as well as efi boot and a boot camp partition that correlated to the specified amt I had chosen, when I clicked it the win installer said it couldn't install on that portion of the drive and that I must format it which is where now I'm thinking what went wrong
    I quit the install and held down the pwr button on the mini to restart and held down the option key to boot back into OS X but to no avail
    So either way my mini is bricked and now I'm thinking I must remove the drive which is located in the "upper" drive bay
    The only reason I started this process was to see what windows was like with steam and minecraft, which I can both run in OS X
    As I am planning on installing an ssd in my unoccupied lower bay of my mini and using the now F'd 500GB OEM DRIVE AS A CLONE which cannot be seen by either installer, OS X or the WINinstall installer
    Wtf
    Do I have to tear into the mini to access the upper drive and install a new drive preformatted with OS X
    F WINDOWS! or BootCamp I guess

7. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

No. Boot your USB OS X installer and click the drive. Try using the "Erase" tab as "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)". Take picture of what you see and report back here if that does not work. Remember to disconnect any external drives or unnecessary peripherals first.

8. IffySituation thread starter macrumors member

Ok Ill try again but there were no clickable options when I tried last time

9. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

You want to select the whole hard drive and not a partition. It may be called something like "500.03 GB Apple SATA hard drive" or something along that line. I surely hope you had your data backed up.

10. IffySituation thread starter macrumors member

Oh yes I did a TM and a clone but It won't show me an option to format the drive in Diskutil, it shows up as "Media" with an odd icon
    I'm heading down to try again
    I appreciate your help I'll take pics when I get to theosx installer and run diskutil

11. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

You must boot off an external media like a USB drive for it to work due to the corruption on the drive now. It is possible that the hard drive went out ironically at the same time you were putzing with the Windows installer but I doubt it.

12. IffySituation thread starter macrumors member

Hey just uploaded pics, thanks again, i am booted off my Yosemite thumb drive

13. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I don't see any pictures yet.

14. IffySituation thread starter macrumors member

Hmm I took pics w my ip6 and edited attachments in the window I'm using to communicate w you

Attached Files:

15. IffySituation thread starter macrumors member

16. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Try changing the partition map from "Current" to 1 partition. Then apply. Then use the Erase tab. Is there a hard drive in the lower bay as well that is not detected?

17. IffySituation thread starter macrumors member

It won't let me complete that request and no there are no other drives internally connected or externally connected

18. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Try using Internet Recovery if this Mac is new enough then booting into the Yosemite installer USB. Hold CMD OPT R at boot and select your Wi-Fi network if not connected via Ethernet.

19. IffySituation thread starter macrumors member

Ok this is what terminal shows when entering "diskutil list"

Attached Files:

20. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Try Internet Recovery. I am thinking that there may be a drive issue that showed up at a very inopportune time.

21. IffySituation thread starter macrumors member

Ok I'm in process of Internet recovery as we speak
    I can't believe how badly I hosed this up
    It's still working, I'm not confident, however I will let you kno and again thanks for all your help

22. IffySituation thread starter macrumors member

Ok it went to a mountain lion installer and is asking me to install to my usb thumb drive with Yosemite installer on it

Attached Files:

23. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Try erasing the drive in Disk Utility.

24. grahamperrin macrumors 601

grahamperrin

Good advice from Altemose.

Yes/maybe – I'm puzzled by the the reported zero byte capacity, lack of support for S.M.A.R.T. and so on.

IffySituation, it's a long time since I saw Disk Utility report things so strangely. Based on a vague recollection from that time, I suggest a reset of NVRAM before anything else.

How to Reset NVRAM on your Mac – Apple Support

Then if you're lucky, you'll be able to restore from your Time Machine backup.

Of particular interest:

What, exactly, happens at each stage of the attempt?

A thumb drive? Is that approach to installing the prerelease version of Windows tried and tested, with Mac hardware, elsewhere?

Given what's above, we can't be certain but I guess that you asked Microsoft's pre-release installer to format the SATA drive in the Apple computer.

Boot Camp: System requirements for Microsoft Windows operating systems – Apple Support

As the Microsoft software is not yet supported by Apple, I should advise not retrying Boot Camp in your environment. Amongst the safer approaches, there's Oracle VirtualBox.

25. IffySituation thread starter macrumors member

An article on Cult of Mac today said boot camp would accept a WIN10 tech preview install into BootCamp

Here is my screen after resetting NVRAM 8x in succession

Attached Files: