Winter is Coming! A Big Hello to Face ID

ckurt25

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
Grand Rapids, MI
No, this isn’t a Game of Thrones reference. One of the biggest advantages of Face ID is being able to unlock your phone with gloves on. You can’t even get a Touch ID iPhone to recognize you’re touching it if you have gloves on.

Snow is in our forecast for Tuesday. The iPhone X can’t get here soon enough.

x-evil-x

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2008
Once unlocked, how will you interact with said phone with your gloves on. If a gloved hand prevents touchid, it will certainly prevent interactions on the screen.
depends on how thin the gloves are really.

Oridus

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2012
Once unlocked, how will you interact with said phone with your gloves on. If a gloved hand prevents touchid, it will certainly prevent interactions on the screen.
Wouldn’t you know it? They make touch screen compatible gloves that relay static electricity from your finger to the screen. What these gloves don’t do is relay your fingerprint information. The OP is completely right on this one.

I use touchscreen enabled gloves during the winter, AND during the summer for when I’m out in my motorcycle, but having to type a pin in every time was cumbersome. I welcome this change. Shout out to you, OP.

ckurt25

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
Grand Rapids, MI
Paying for gas at the pump with Face ID / Apple Pay will be able to be done with / without touch gloves.

As others have stated, touch gloves are pretty standard in cold weather states but Touch ID doesn’t with with touch gloves.

Reactions: Olivia23 and Oridus

donster28

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2006
Great White North
I think this is a great benefit to Face ID!

Tried all those “touch gloves” but I still end up with inaccuracies. Being able to unlock without touching is a must for winter.

Good topic, OP.

Reactions: Oridus

chrisforpm

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2015
I don’t know about any of you, but I live on the Canadian prairies (some of the coldest weather in North America happens here in January and February). I don’t care about using my phone outside, I just want to get inside lol. It’s a mad dash from the car to the house, mall or work. I’ll use my phone inside once I warm up.

KingslayerG5

Suspended
Oct 16, 2017
Since the announcement, I wonder if it will work for Arya Stark? Faceless Men are screwed.

Halloween is coming up in two days. How the hell do people dress up in full Darth Vader, Stormtrooper, or Iron Man gear see through that at night? They would also have gloves on.

And forget Halloween and cos-play. What about the actors and actresses that need to be put on a prosthetic face for six hours a day to film a movie? The most convincing was Eddie Murphy as Saul in Coming To America.

Far more convincing and less scary than the Wayans Bros in White Chicks!

Apple claims Face ID can recognize masks and faces in the dark but we will just have to wait and see.

Reactions: applewatch

joeblow7777

macrumors 603
Sep 7, 2010
No, this isn’t a Game of Thrones reference. One of the biggest advantages of Face ID is being able to unlock your phone with gloves on. You can’t even get a Touch ID iPhone to recognize you’re touching it if you have gloves on.

Snow is in our forecast for Tuesday. The iPhone X can’t get here soon enough.
I'm Canadian, and winter has never hindered my use of TouchID.

I mean, you have to take off your gloves to use the phone anyway... In my experience, gloves that allow for touchscreen interaction aren't very good at it or they don't keep your hands very warm anyway.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Unless I have a face mask lol. But OP u nailed it with the gloves tho. Lol
Some kind of mask is a must. When I was in Wisconsin the air would have hurt your lungs when it went below zero. No way the phone is going to recognize me with mask and goggles. But then again the other poster was right and I seldom use my phone is such conditions. I do carry it with me but keep it in a pocket close to the body as the battery hates very low temps.

myscrnnm

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2014
Seattle, WA
Not necessarily. You can't use TouchID, but there are still gloves that are compatible with capacitive touchscreens.

iSayBoourns

Suspended
Sep 15, 2017
There are gloves that allow touch on screens. I used them all the tine for Pokémon go last winter.

bangak

macrumors member
May 14, 2010
Alaska
Just yesterday I was doing winter maintenance on my car and had to pull out my iPhone 7+ to look up a torque spec for a particular nut. TouchID failed with my gloves on but I was able to enter my passcode. Gloves worked fine for that purpose as they were pretty thin but it would have been a pain to peel them off just to accommodate the fingerprint sensor.

Often times in the winter (in Alaska) I’m just opening up a reference document that doesn’t require any interaction. Even with heavy winter gloves this will now be possible thanks to FaceID...without having to remove my gloves and expose my hands to the elements.