Winter Jackets

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Seniordan, Oct 14, 2013.

1. Seniordan macrumors regular

So I'm trying to find a good jacket for this winter. I live in Alberta, and the winters can be fairly harsh. -30 degrees Celsius isn't uncommon so I need something warm but also stylish.

I like this one from Jcrew and they have 25% off + free shipping today making it $345 from the regular $460 + shipping.

http://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/outerwear/cotton/PRDOVR~03761/03761.jsp

And also this one from Banana Republic; they have 40% off + free shipping today bringing it from $495 to ~$300

http://bananarepublic.gapcanada.ca/browse/product.do?cid=14845&vid=1&pid=685898003

I also like the Jcrew University coat but I think it may be more on the stylish side than actually being warm.

Any opinions on either of these? Or if anyone can recommend something else, preferably no more than $350, that would also be appreciated.

Thanks!

2. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I like the Banana Republic one. The bad thing is that neither website tells you what these jackets are rated.

3. Seniordan, Oct 14, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2013

Seniordan thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, I agree. It would be nice to read some reviews.

Edit

Turns out the Jcrew jackets are excluded from the promo so that one is crossed off the list!

Edit x2

So is the Banana Republic one!

4. musicjunky macrumors regular

If you have a store nearby, doesn't hurt to try em on in person. For big bulky jackets, you really gotta try them on to see if you like the fit.

5. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I like LL bean. They have some awesome winter coats.

6. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

A lot of my friends have Canada Goose jackets and claim that they're the warmest, not sure if they're just a fad though or are actually that great.

7. jinyoungkim7 macrumors regular

jinyoungkim7

Get a Patagonia!

*I like the Banana one more though.

8. Eyden macrumors member

I think so. try it on, and then you can know whether it is what you want.

9. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

In my opinion there is nothing warmer and more practical than a good North Face Jacket. Something like THIS. A similar one got me thru a winter in Moscow so it should do you just fine.

10. senseless macrumors 68000

senseless

If a jacket has snaggy nylon pockets, it's off the list.

11. AhmedFaisal, Oct 17, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2013
  12. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

Where does it say that?

13. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

North Face Jackets are great, I own one. I'd also look at LL Bean, Eddie Bauer, REI.

14. senseless macrumors 68000

senseless

It probably doesn't say anything online, but a comfortable fleece lined pocket is nice when you're not wearing gloves.

15. rjkgr macrumors regular

the banana one looks better but just not the yellow! to bright for winter colors

16. Seniordan thread starter macrumors regular

Man, I really want one of those Canada Goose jackets, but they're so expensive! Perhaps an extremely warm jacket would a better purchase than an iPad Air? Or maybe not ;)

17. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

Invest good money in a timelessly designed, well made down coat. You will be glad you did in 5-10 years when you still have it and it still keeps you warm and you still like it. $300 this year, $300 in 2-3years, another $300 in 4-5 years...or $700 now...you do the math.

J Crew, Banana Republic, etc are fashion brands, and low to mid level fashion at that. They are not outdoor outfitters who make clothing suitable for the likes of a Canadian winter.

If you can't afford a Canada Goose (and do not buy one on ebay; 90% of them are fake) then take a look at Marmot. They're a notch or two above North Face in quality, but without the trendy price tag.

When you are researching, look for stats like "fill power", goose down percentages (vs duck feathers, which don't trap heat as well, weigh more, and poke holes), and look for welded seams, not stitched. Feathers escape stitches, and water gets in.

Determine the average daily temp where you live, and get a coat that is rated for a slightly warmer climate. Do not get an Arctic 900 snorkel jacket if your local average temp is 35F. You will boil. You won't be able to wear layers without passing out, and the coat will likely sit on a hanger all winter.

Get a lightweight but puffy down coat, that has room for layers, allows you to move freely, keeps you comfortable but not hot, and is built to last!

18. Seniordan thread starter macrumors regular

I'll check out Marmot! I was actually thinking about it before I read your post and was thinking the same thing that you said. Even if I spend $500-$700, I figure that I should be able to get 10 years out of a high quality jacket.

Thanks for the advice!

19. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Since I ski/snowboard, I wear those jackets because (1) they're warm, (2) they're waterproofed [ie: GoreTex], (3) it means I can have a stylish choice of jackets when I do those things.

20. juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

Care to elaborate or post a link about the Luftwaffe jacket? The only ones I've found on Google using those words, you don't want to wear in public, unless you're price Harry at a costume party and don't mind some bad press. ;)

21. Seniordan thread starter macrumors regular

Are you referring to the Canada Goose jackets?

22. Aspasia macrumors 65816

Halfway between the Equator and North Pole
    If you want warm, this is it: http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/60850?feat=baxter state parka-SR0&page=baxter-state-parka

I purchased one (ladies) two years ago. Awesome coat and even kept me warm during a visit to Chicago on a very windy weekend.

23. notjustjay, Oct 29, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2013

notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

If you walk around in Toronto you start to notice that a lot of people seem to be wearing Canada Goose jackets.. then you look a little closer and you realize most of them are probably fake :rolleyes:

I was leaning toward The North Face myself, but I'll check out Marmot. Ottawa can have pretty brutal winters (it was -10 last night and it's not even Hallowe'en yet).

^ That LL. Bean jacket looks very reasonably priced! I might buy one. Thanks for the link!

24. Seniordan thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah that ll bean coat actually looks really tempting, that's a really decent price.

Thanks!!

25. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj