Winter Photography Tips

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Melizard, Dec 1, 2011.

1. Melizard macrumors 6502

Melizard

Winter is upon us (some of us at least), and this will be my first winter with a DSLR. I was wondering if any of you would like to share some tips for winter photography...? Anything from keeping gear protected to how to get the most interesting scenes. I'm headed to Switzerland for a couple weeks in January so all advice is greatly appreciated!

2. snberk103 macrumors 603

Over expose white scenes to keep the whites from turning grey. Batteries lose power in the cold, so keep your batteries warm. If your camera is out in extreme cold (more than several degrees below freezing) then when it's time to bring the camera inside, wrap it in sweater, towel, or similar insulating item as you are coming in and let the camera warm up slowly.

Most cameras are don't need anything special done to them to operate in the winter. But check your camera's specs to be sure. My Mamiya was rated to something like -30º C if my memory serves. But I also added the "battery in the pocket, connected to the camera via a cord" accessory.

Use a lensehood.

3. Bonch macrumors 6502

Bonch

dress warm, don't eat yellow snow, bring a chic for company

4. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

And he pretty much covered it all :p

5. Doylem macrumors 68040

Doylem

...And maybe a pair of gloves that convert (thanks to Velcro) into fingerless mittens. Best of both worlds...

6. compuwar macrumors 601

compuwar

I find kayaker's (canoeists for the UK folk) paddling gloves to work best- I can generally manipulate the camera controls without taking them off. When it's cold, I find being able to manipulate the controls with the gloves still on to be the best of both worlds ;)

Paul

7. Phrasikleia macrumors 601

Phrasikleia

If snow is involved, a circular polarizing filter is invaluable.

8. Keleko macrumors 68000

Take indoor shots where it's warm.

Wait for spring.

:D

9. deeddawg macrumors 604

Key points above. I'd add:

• Understand how to handle high-contrast scenes, both for landscape and "people" pictures.
    • Know how to add some fill flash in outdoor scenes especially if people are sunlit, as winter sunlight tends to create harsh lighting.

10. Rowbear macrumors 6502a

Rowbear

Hehe :D

11. Rowbear macrumors 6502a

Rowbear

When I'm done shooting outside in extreme cold (-25/30c sometimes here), I remove the batteries and flash card, because once inside, I leave the bag closed for several hours before opening it in order to let the temperature inside the bag match the temperature inside the house to avoid moisture.

12. snberk103 macrumors 603

Check your Sunrise/Sunset times. Several years ago I was in Whitehorse, just before Christmas. Totally prepared for the cold, totally forgot to check the times. Out at 10am to catch the sunrise. Stayed out for a couple of hours, and got a roll of shots (pre digital). At -36ºC decided not to take my gloves off to change the film, so I wrapped the camera up and came inside. I didn't know how long it took to get frostbite at that temperature, and I didn't want to find out.

By the time the camera had warmed up, it was dark outside - sunset at about 3:30pm. So, a roll a day for a weekend. I was very careful with my shots.

Can't wait to get back up with a digital back - I'll give up before the camera!

13. The Mad Kiwi macrumors 6502

Just expose correctly, and push and pull it in post. It's pretty easy to blow little bits of the highlights if you start over exposing.

14. gnd macrumors 6502a

gnd

Also don't forget that the scenes with snow offer great opportunities for B&W conversions :)

15. deeddawg macrumors 604

Yes, it is best to expose correctly. And in a winter scene with lots of snow, that typically means setting exposure compensation to overexpose by a stop or so (give or take a little depending on the scene).

Best thing is to have the exposure of the scene correct out of the camera, whether shooting RAW or JPEG. IMHO if I have to push/pull in post I screwed up in evaluating the scene and/or setting the camera correctly. (No I'm not perfect, but I strive to get it right in-camera vs. using post as a crutch)

Also, to add to your point about blown highlights; yes you want to avoid clipping, but better to err towards overexposure than underexposure. Although I'm sure you know this, for others please see "Expose Right" at Luminous Landscape for more info: http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/expose-right.shtml

16. Bonch macrumors 6502

Bonch

lol.

17. glocke12 macrumors 6502a

glocke12

use a picture of snow as a reference image for your WB when shooting outdoors. I did this last year and really got some great images.

18. Melizard thread starter macrumors 6502

Melizard

Thank you all for your input. I think it will be challenging for me to make the shots interesting, but at least I have a starting point now. I am checking out other people's photos now for some creative inspiration.

Cheers!

19. driftless macrumors demi-god

driftless

20. Melizard thread starter macrumors 6502

Melizard

Good call. I will do what I can with the lenses I have (just the standard 18-55mm kit lens and a 18-200 zoom lens). I would love a wide angle or a macro lens, but I'm trying to learn some photography basics before I invest the money. I would love to take a course too, but I can never seem to find the time, so I'm attempting to learn as much as I can on my own (this forum is great for that, btw).

I got a SLR when I got sick of my photos looking nothing like reality, so that's what I'm trying to accomplish. I am happy with touristy shots for now, but looking at everyone's amazing photos is beginning to make me think more creatively.

21. Vudoo macrumors 6502a

Vudoo

Winter...one of my favorite season that I don't get to really experience most of the time.

Here's a photo that I took while dog sledding at Lake Tahoe. You will noticed that a sunny day will reflect off the snow like crazy. A polarizer would have been useful here.

[​IMG]

Here's one that I took in Vancouver Island on a cloudy snowy day. It's almost like a black and white which gives you an opportunity to be artistic.

[​IMG]

My biggest issue is fogging up of the lens when moving between extreme temperatures. You want to make sure your camera has acclimated before shooting.

22. Melizard thread starter macrumors 6502

Melizard

^^Oh I love these! I've been dying to go on a dog sled!

Thanks for sharing. I can't wait to get out there! Alas, all of our snow has melted so I have to wait a few more weeks.