Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LizKat

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
Saturday afternoon it was 70ºF, Saturday night 30º and snowing, now it's still snowing and 20º and we have 16 inches of snow on the ground. What an abrupt end to a lingering Indian Summer!

Good old Lake Ontario, when the wind from Canada sets up those long bands of lake effect snow that reach all the way down into southeastern Catskills, it doesn't kid around. We just got more snow than we had all last winter, I think. Last winter driveways got plowed once total. Last weekend, two and counting.

Thanks, Canada! [looks for snow shovel, finds it next to leaf rake and a frozen jade plant, oops]

cvdave

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2016
THAT explains it... if it is a scientifically proven alternative state to liquid water, then this is why San Diego has never expereinced it..... We have been in a drought for so long, that litte water we has probably forgotten about that

MacUser2525

Suspended
Mar 17, 2007
Canada
All lies by the liberal media elites besides President elect Trump says he has plan to keep them pesky illegal snowflakes from crossing the border and taking American flakes jobs, a northern wall...

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

jeremysteele

Cancelled
Jul 13, 2011
Yeah... so it snowed a bit more than I expected. Took this mid-day Tuesday... around 21-23". Got a few more afterwards.

Wouldn't have been too bad if it was all lake-effect snow - since that stuff is so light. But noooo... mother nature had to first poop out about 4 inches of heavy-wet snow beforehand so it made cleanup a mess.

Still sore from the shoveling.... and I forgot to stock up on ice-melt beforehand... oops!

8ACl9OH.jpg

Reactions: satcomer and LizKat

LizKat

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
I grew up on the shores of mighty Lake Superior so I laugh at puny Lake Ontario lake effect snow.

Go ahead and laugh... Ontario has had its share of shipwrecks too, and hey, snow is snow when your old man takes the window out of the storm door and pushes the fluffy stuff aside with a broom to make room out there for your six year old self and a shovel... "don't step on what you're shoveling or we won't get the bottom of the door past the ice later.."

Anyway the other day we around here hardly had breath to laugh while we shoveled up all those snowflakes that piled on down here 200 miles from Toronto or 500 from wherever further northwest they came... why do they call snowflakes fragile again? Don't answer that in this forum LOL.

I admit we had even bigger snowdumps when I was a kid living north of Rochester, practically on the beaches of Ontario. Sometimes it would skip us, other times park and dump four feet before having mercy and moving farther onshore. It must account for my love of cold weather though: the joy of playing in snow as a kid sticks with a person, or anyway it has done with me, I am still tempted to build snowmen when the snow's right for it! Hoping we have enough storms for a few snowman displays in the village this winter. Last year was a complete bust on that score, not to mention financial disaster for the carpenters who depend on plowing for money overwinter.

Reactions: aaronvan

LizKat

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
So far, we have only had about an inch of snow on the front range of Colorado.

Heh, I would call that borderline overdue, no? Around here we are in a relatively earthquake free zone so we call your current snow situation "waiting for the Big One" when it gets near Christmas and we're still wondering if we might actually have to mow the lawn one more time. But our whole winter was like that last year. So much of snowfall depends how the wind sets up while different fronts prevail or give way. Sometimes I feel I missed my calling. Weather on planet earth fascinates me but I'm such a dunce about meteorology that I have to look up half the terms in the glossary when I'm reading the forecasters' discussions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.