Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheShinyMac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 3, 2009
I am in my sophomore year of High-school and I am stuck between two sports for the winter season. Last year I tried out and made the school's swim team, I have been swimming competitively since I was little.

This year one of my best friends is going on the Ski team and he is a captain. My first tryout for swim was today and our new coach is extremely pushy and annoying and I do not look forward to the season.

I cannot decide which team to choose. I haven't talked to my parents about it yet but I can already tell you my Dad will push for me to keep swimming, I am leaning towards the ski team. Only downside to ski is that its 500 dollars for all the passes. That is a ton of money, to me at least. I feel really guilty for making my parents spend that on me when they just bought me an awesome Xmas present.:eek: Any ideas? How should I bring this up with my parents? You think I should go to my guidance mentor? Thanks and oh the troubles of being a teen:cool:

R94N

macrumors 68020
May 30, 2010
UK
I am 14, and used to swim for a club competitively since I was about 10 or 11, but I quit because of the d-bags at the club. Anyway, that's not really relevant I suppose.

I'm not really sure what you should do...but do tell us what you end up doing eventually.

eawmp1

macrumors 601
Feb 19, 2008
FL
I am in my sophomore year of High-school and I am stuck between two sports for the winter season. Last year I tried out and made the school's swim team, I have been swimming competitively since I was little.

This year one of my best friends is going on the Ski team and he is a captain. My first tryout for swim was today and our new coach is extremely pushy and annoying and I do not look forward to the season.

If you don't like swimming any more, don't swim. If you think you are on a competitive team and you want to be best buddies with a coach who dosen't push you, you are kidding yourself. If you like swimming and are good, try a season with the "pushy" coach. He may just push you to do things you never thought you could do.

stonyc

macrumors 65816
Feb 15, 2005
Michigan
Your post, repeat it almost word-for-word to your parents. They will (at least) try to understand, I hope.

Illuminated

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2008
Denver
Go skiing. It's better, more fun, and exhilarating. I haven't been on a ski team since I was 14 or 15, so now I ski for the fun of it, and my time is constricted now due to school/work. But I try to get out to the mountains about 2-3 times a week. I'm outside of Philly and have a pass at Blue Mountain.

Try getting a student pass. Usually a bit cheaper, and even cheaper when they're being sold pre-season.

17980_265229137999_584022999_4403787_1678894_n.jpg

See how much more fun skiing looks?! That's me btw. My friend has a gocamHD or w/e it's called.

Also, it's the run out that leads to the lifts....I consider myself an advanced skier...

wvuwhat

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2007
I'll play Devil's Advocate. You'll be much more likely to get a scholarship for swimming than skiing. I'm sure there are some schools that have skiing teams with scholarships, but swimming offers many more opportunities in my experience.

A bad high school coach is a problem, but not when you get your college paid for. You'll spend about 1/16" the time with your high school coach as you will with your college coach, for the record.

Rapmastac1

macrumors 65816
Aug 5, 2006
In the Depths of the SLC!
I would stay with the swimming as well, who says you can't ski just for fun later in the season? But if you don't have the gear, then it starts getting really expensive, a decent pair of goggles alone will cost you at least $40 usd.

Me, well I'm going to be snow cycling. I practiced a bit last year and worked really hard this year to get my muscles up to shape. I'm still not there but the season hasn't really started for me until after Christmas. I'm the only one nuts enough to use a road bike while there is snow on the ground.

TheShinyMac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 3, 2009
Update

I made the JV team so its set that I am doing swim this season. I talked to my good friends and we are all heading up to NH during Xmas break to ski! I also talked to my dad and he said we could pick up some skis. I do have swim practice during Xmas break, but I'm skipping a few days. 2,500 yards each day during a vacation :eek::confused: Thanks for the advice guys

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.