Winterboard 0.9.3903 on iOS 5 slow down / choppy

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by kmvguy83, Oct 23, 2011.

?

Does winterboard on iOS5 slows down springboard?

1. Yes

31 vote(s)
    81.6%
  2. No

5 vote(s)
    13.2%
  3. Not sure

2 vote(s)
    5.3%
  1. kmvguy83 macrumors member

Has anybody else noticed the winterboard makes iOS5 very choppy on springboard?
    Am I only one having this problem?

Here is the link to the video
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJ0fCn7QwAQ

let me know guys

thanks

2. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

jailbreaking and it's apps are still kinda rough and in beta for iOS 5 now. also, you're using a 4 or 3gs, so don't expect that buttery smooth performance of a 4S. it may be that your theme is unoptimized, or that you need to update items in cydia and try a hard restart.

if all else fails and you're convinced it's your phone then DFU restore.

3. kmvguy83 thread starter macrumors member

if you saw the vid, i disabled winterboard from the mobile substrate, after i disable it, it becomes smooth again.

4. iReign macrumors newbie

You're right... It causes significant choppiness. I did just the same as you and tested it through mobilesubstrate. It was smooth while disabled. I'm sure they'll fix it soon though #

5. KariNeko macrumors newbie

KariNeko

6. TeflonFong macrumors newbie

Yes, it's very noticeable on my iPhone4...I am guessing there will be an update soon.

7. murdercitydevil macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

Does anyone know if Saurik is even aware of the issue?

This sucks... I want to install WinterBoard but then again I don't. I hate the laggy SB.

8. srf4real macrumors 68030

srf4real

I am the dork who voted no in the poll. I guess I didn't notice it until you guys planted the seed.. haha. It is definitely not right though. Some elements like the scrolling dock are really smooth for me but it sure ain't perfect. I can live with it, for now - better than having to look at Apple's default icon set lol!

(iPhone 4)

I do know that Saurik is easy to contact and is very responsive to emails and concerns. But I've already bugged him enough since the iOS 5 redsn0w came out lol. Somebody else do it :)

9. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

I think we'l see a culmination of updates and final releases of JB software once the untethered JB is released.

The tethered JB is still considered a beta.

10. srf4real macrumors 68030

srf4real

Already stable by definition. I've had no problems since getting rid of semi-tether.. funny actually the only time my phone was shutting down on redsn0w iOS 5 is when semi-tether was installed. Haven't involuntarily been powered down since removing it three days ago..;)

11. RDGnome macrumors newbie

Same Problem

I have this exact problem on my iPod Touch 4G and its been really frustrating me. I uninstalled Winterboard in the end and everything is now perfect. Hopefully there will be an update for 0.9.9b7 Redsn0w and to the 0.9.3903 version of Winterboard soon because I miss it already (although Dreamboard is an excellent alternative!)

12. iMrNiceGuy0023 macrumors 68000

I use FakeClockup to make my iPhone faster than normal

13. 1wildcat1 macrumors member

installing barrel and uninstalling it works wonders.

14. schiotz macrumors newbie

On my phone, swithing Summerboard compatibility off solved the choppyness problem, and I no longer see any slowdown. May of course break some themes.

15. kmvguy83 thread starter macrumors member

im not using any theme on the video, winterboard seems to lag my phone just by having it on

16. schiotz macrumors newbie

Yes, it was the same for me. Even without any theme applied, it slowed down the phone tremendously, until I turned Summerboard compatibility off. Others report that the problem remains, possibly some themes also trigger the slowdown. It looks like some kind of bug.

17. DangerPanda macrumors member

18. Sensamic macrumors 68030

Yeah, me too. I uninstalled it and will wait until an update appears. hopefully.

19. DangerPanda macrumors member

After searching for a solution on google, I found that it can be fixed by installing barrel.
    I've personally tried it and now my Winterboard is running butter smooth!

edit: didn't see solution was posted already :p but I can confirm that it works!

20. NickCapz macrumors newbie

NickCapz

Barrel Fixed It!!!

I tried this 5 mins ago and I already noticed that my phone is way better!!! How ever I noticed that cydia had a winterboard beta fix?? anyone try this yet?? BTW Thanks for the info!!!

21. Darkipoduser macrumors newbie

Fix Found!

I have noticed an easy fix for this. This might sound weird but installing the app "barrel" from cydia seems to fix the problem. Though it only smoothens the springboard scrolling but other things such as the notification centre will be at the SAME SPEED as they were with winterboard. Hope this was helpful ;). Ps.. I do not know what does the barrel app do which fixes this problem. ;)

22. srf4real macrumors 68030

srf4real

skim much?:p