Winterboard 2.0

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by iStewbert, Aug 2, 2008.

1. iStewbert macrumors newbie

Alright, first and for most, I am a noob. I installed winterboard this morning...mostly because I saw it's supposed to do what summerboard does, delete the stock background on the ipod touch, and allow new backgrounds to show. I did this, and now i'm stuck w/ the ugly stock plant background. After going into customize and trying to install a new theme, it'll change the icons, but not the background. Have I done something wrong? How can I get this new, ugly (no offense to the creator) background gone?

also, i've tried to SSH, I got past the part where you type alpine in...and now it asks me for a root# every time in the terminal...what the hell is a root#. I am pretty sure I screwed the pooch somehow attempting to ssh.

Anyway, any and all help would be appreciate. My experience with this stuff is very small, as I am just beginning to learn! Thanks!

UPDATE: I figured out how to remove winterboard 2.0. I'd rather know how to use it, but hopefully y'all can shine some answers on me! thanks

2. itzdemo macrumors regular

itzdemo

if you read the "more info" in the installer it says it only works for summerboard themes. and don't have anything to do with customize. im going to wait till freeboard or summerboard comes out becuse they work together !

3. iStewbert thread starter macrumors newbie

Alright, got it figured out. Wasn't so bad... :) I still can't figure out how to SSH? Anybody up for a tutorial? I've read the one in Cydia, but after I get into my terminal, it's asking for a root#...from there, I can't get it to work.

4. therealmrbob macrumors regular

therealmrbob

I use cyberduck. takes the guess work out of ssh heh. open it up then click the bookmark icon in the the top left then click bonjour and you should see your ipod name, then double click it and type in "root" for the user name and "alpine" for the pass. and you're set.

5. dagored macrumors 65816

Go all the way to the root of the Ipod's file system. The '/' directory. There you will see a directory for /Library inside that is a symlinked directory called Themes. Inside that you will see Saurik's default theme.

To create your own theme, put a directory in the same /Library/Themes named whatever you want. Inside your named theme directory, put a Wallpaper.png (case specific ie Capital W or it won't work) and make an "Icons" directory and put all your icons in. Icons must match the app name and are also case specific.

Works great:

[​IMG]

6. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

proper steps would be install via cydia, reboot, and then when you ssh go to /library/themes and theme folder goes here, open winterboard ansd select theme

7. zahque macrumors member

8. Macman1993 macrumors 6502

Macman1993

9. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

I hate you guys and your pics :p makes me jealous cause I have tried all I can but cant seem to skin my iPod.

best I could do was use make it mine and change iPod to my name in top left corner lol

10. Macman1993 macrumors 6502

Macman1993

How do you replace the word "ipod" with a different word?

11. dagored macrumors 65816

12. itzdemo macrumors regular

itzdemo

hey send me PM or hit me up on my MSN IM (markatx@hotmail.com)

I'll help you with what ever is needed.