Winterboard on ios4.0 , iPhone 4 - stable?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by dand1996, Aug 28, 2010.

1. dand1996 macrumors regular

For people who are using winterboard. I have stayed away from winterboard so far in an attempt to keep my iPhone running smoothly, and it's worked.

Will witerboard make my iPhone less stable? Will it enter safe mode more? What are your experiences with performance?

I am looking to change a couple icons and my unlock slider, nothing major.

2. Krafty macrumors 601

Krafty

I've had no problems with it. As far as Safe Mode, it depends on the themes you use. Make sure you check that the developer has updated it for 4.0, or if it at least functions on it.

3. localboy28 macrumors 6502a

Been using it since the jb came out and havnt had any problems at all.

4. dand1996 thread starter macrumors regular

thanks for your responses thus far... anyone else out there have any experiences with winterboard and 4.0?

5. zmulleni macrumors regular

zmulleni

I've been in safe mode a couple times, just remember what you recently downloaded/installed and remove it. Overall winterboard has been pretty stable, and really I have no complaints about it.

6. dand1996 thread starter macrumors regular

Are you using full themes or small tweaks?

7. silentsim macrumors regular

No issues on iPhone 4 winterboard with full themes that are meant for iphone 4 (HD themes)

8. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Other than WinterBoard turning you icon lettering grey (fix by checking White Icon Label theme) it works great as long as the theme has been updated to work with 4.0 firmware.

9. dand1996 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, winterboard installed. Icon color changed all is well. Thank you

10. Bdubb macrumors regular

Bdubb

I see all these cool themes on some sites, I am so tempted to install winterboard,

but I just have nightmares about how this thing slowed my 3G down to a halt back in the day and sucked the battery out of my 3Gs in just a few hours not so long ago.

I really wish there was a more "efficient" and "safer" version of winterboard, but I guess changing an entire look (skin) of an OS can be quite heavy on the IOS4.

Anyway I'll stop my rant and ask a decent question, it's great to hear that it's mostly stable, but what about battery life? (I am a battery nazi) is the battery life okay? or slightly or significantly worse?

11. NoStopN macrumors 6502

NoStopN

I see that the OP has already installed WB on his phone, but I'll throw another vote for WB into this discussion. I only use small tweaks (at&t logo, differen wi-fi logo, etc.), so nothing that would stress iOS 4.0.1.

12. Nick0912 macrumors member

How do you do this?

13. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Read the description and change log on the tweak in Cydia (all those things most people don't bother to read because they are in too big a hurry).

14. UCLAKoolman macrumors 6502a

I unplugged my iPhone 4 at 100% charge last night before I went to sleep. Running on my iPhone: SBSettings, 5 icon dock, BiteSMS, Winterboard running with a customized lock screen (REDLOCKscreen), custom icons (Classica3), and vWallpaper app for video wallpapers.

When I woke up (~8hrs later), my battery had only dropped to 98%.

15. HelperMonkey macrumors member

While Winterboard is stable and is working with themes, it's not 100% functional on my iPhone running 4.0.1 just yet. As an example, neither the No Docked Icon Labels nor the Transparent Dock settings are working.

16. Grayburn macrumors 68000

Grayburn

Search Cydia for 4.0 versions of those tweaks,which are available and which work fine.

17. OnNightfall macrumors regular

To be honest I stay away from Winterboard, SBSettings and Lockscreen. To me these three are performance vampires.

18. HelperMonkey macrumors member

Thanks for the tip! I've removed the labels but I can't seem to get the dock to be transparent with the 4.0 Cydia download. Odd...

19. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

No issues with any of those packages on my iPhone 4 running iOS 4.0.1.

S-