Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Donz0r

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 29, 2006
After living with the slowdown caused by winterboard for months, I've finally uninstalled it.

I tried to convince myself it wasn't there for as long as I could but every single app was affected. Launching apps, typing, etc. was all noticeably slower.

So far I haven't found a reliable way to replace AppStore puchased icons so I guess I'll be sticking with the default icons.
I still have categories, a custom dock, custom keyboard sounds and sms bubbles.

Anyone else ditched winterboard in favor of a "it just works" iPhone?

P.S. Anyone who says winterboard doesn't slow you down is lying to themselves.

Roessnakhan

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2007
ABQ
Categories is the only app that I feel is slow. The rest are fine, or adequate in their loading time that I don't get frustrated.

ppc750fx

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2008
I've noticed that Winterboard causes SpringBoard to take up a fair bit of memory. This could be causing some of the performance problems that you're referring to.

Oh, and have you considered just replacing the icon in the app's bundle?

Donz0r

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 29, 2006
The slowdown caused by wonterboard is system wide. Not just app launching. Keyboard responsiveness. Answering calls etc. Also I've read a lot and it seems you cannot replace app store icons without breaking the apps

Lucbert

macrumors regular
Dec 8, 2008
I have only jailbroken my iPhone to use yellowsnow and to me it seems like the jailbreak itself already slows down my iPhone. But I'm not sure. I have no other 3rd party SW other than Installer and yellowsnow on the device.
I had Winterboard on my old iPhone and it made it incredible slow. The slowness was due to uncompressed graphics used by the theme I had installed.

And let's be honest. The original Apple Theme looks the best anyways.

ppc750fx

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2008
I have only jailbroken my iPhone to use yellowsnow and to me it seems like the jailbreak itself already slows down my iPhone. But I'm not sure. I have no other 3rd party SW other than Installer and yellowsnow on the device.
I had Winterboard on my old iPhone and it made it incredible slow. The slowness was due to uncompressed graphics used by the theme I had installed.

There's no evidence that jailbreaking causes any performance degradation.

Winterboard, on the other hand, does. It's not just due to "uncompressed graphics" -- there's a performance cost associated with simply having Winterboard installed (even without any themes applied.)

cjm3113

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2008
My phone is just as fast jailbroken as it was before the jailbreak. That said, when I had winterboard installed..it was much slower. My average RAM used was almost double.

Donz0r

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 29, 2006
I use SMS for 90% of my phone usage. And from the time i tap the icon to the first key typed is about 3.5 seconds now, down from an average of 10 second with winterboard.

I also have my custom bubbles and keyboard sounds which makes me happy. Oh, and dock too.
I could customize a lot more without WB but I'm fine with this setup. I only wish I could get rid of those page dots without winterboard somehow.

No regrets here at all. The responsiveness is amazing. I used to get frustrated by the lagginess, now I love this phone again just like I used to.

FLAVAH

macrumors member
Aug 1, 2008
in regards to sms, the only thing i feel that really slowed me down was using a custom keyboard, and that killed me. so i took out the custom keyboard and kept the winterboard, and the responsiveness of the sms was back to almost stock! there may be a little bit of a lag when first pressing the sms icon, but other than that the typing was back to awesome!

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
I still don't understand the point in wasting all that time just to make the UI uglier and replacing icons. Who cares?!? Some themes should never have hit the net... imho. Otheres are ok, but you spend all that time instead of doing some more productive.

deadsouls

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2008
I still don't understand the point in wasting all that time just to make the UI uglier and replacing icons. Who cares?!? Some themes should never have hit the net... imho. Otheres are ok, but you spend all that time instead of doing some more productive.

yah cause you posting here must have felt really productive.

TJisYeah

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2009
Ok Winterboard DOES NOT slow me down at all and neitehr does sshing..

just becuase you have a bad experiance with winterboard does not mean EVERYBODY is ..

RESTORE you phone and try again.

I love my phone and have absolutly NO PROBLEMS

cjm3113

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2008

just becuase you have a bad experiance with winterboard does not mean EVERYBODY is ..

WINTERBOARD DOUBLES THE SPRINGBOARDS RAM USAGE. Yes, even on your phone.

notintheleast

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2008
NC
I definitely experience a little lagging with winterboard after a while. After I restore and re-jailbreak (and install WB) the lag is gone. It doesn't get bad unless I have a bunch of themes downloaded.

gadgetdad

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2007
On my iPhone
I havnt noticed lag either. Maybe there is, maybe not, but I dont notice it.

The main reason I jailbroke was for themes. They change on my iPhone each week. Keeps it fresh.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Also I've read a lot and it seems you cannot replace app store icons without breaking the apps

What do you mean you can't replace app store icons? I've replaced a lot of my app store apps icons w/o any prolbem. Finding the app I want to replace icons for does require that I open each app directory to find the one I want, though.

ChipH588

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2009
Quick question

I too want Winterboard gone and have wanted to SSH theme too but I can't for the life of me find where the wallpaper and springboard dock are located. Does anyone here know?

Donz0r

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 29, 2006
Quick question

I too want Winterboard gone and have wanted to SSH theme too but I can't for the life of me find where the wallpaper and springboard dock are located. Does anyone here know?

You cannot change the wallpaper via SSH. The dock is located in
/System/Library/coreservices/sprinboard.app/SBDockBG
or something like that

Donz0r

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 29, 2006

:rolleyes:
winterboard does in fact use up a ton of ram, and I've restored and reinstalled in with every software update and on 2 different iPhones

What do you mean you can't replace app store icons? I've replaced a lot of my app store apps icons w/o any prolbem. Finding the app I want to replace icons for does require that I open each app directory to find the one I want, though.
That's just what I've read on multiple boards. For now the stock icons are fine, I actually like them. I spent a lot of time making custom icons when i was using winterboard and I loved the way it looked, but frankly I just got sick of it. Winterboard is amazing, but while it makes my iPhone look cooler, I like my iPhone less because of the how it slows everything down.

dccorona

macrumors 68020
Jun 12, 2008

thats strange
after my jailbreak, not only did the phone seem a little snappier, it also seemed to get better reception

also, use one of the memory freeing programs from the appstore
they do great things for system speed

ppc750fx

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2008
thats strange
after my jailbreak, not only did the phone seem a little snappier, it also seemed to get better reception

also, use one of the memory freeing programs from the appstore
they do great things for system speed

1) Jailbreaking didn't affect your phone's performance or reception. That part was all in the eye of the beholder ;-)

2) The "memory optimization" programs, if I'm not mistaken, work by allocating a ton of memory thereby forcing the OS to evict any inactive pages. This will technically increase the amount of free memory, but it will do so at the cost of requiring those pages to be paged back in when they're needed (thus resulting in a slow-down.)

Tokiopop

macrumors 68000
Dec 6, 2008
West Yorkshire, UK
No slowdown here either, not with 2.2 and the latest Winterboard anyway. BUT my apps do take longer to open up, but they did before Winterboard. That's JB for ya ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.