WinXP Boot Camp Sound Volume Issue

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by razorboy1969, Nov 24, 2009.

1. razorboy1969 macrumors newbie

razorboy1969

Hello. Does anybody know if the WinXP - Boot Camp - Cirrus Audio issue has been resolved?

My new MBP has WinXP Home Ed installed. Initial problem was that the volume was very low even with max setting. There was also a 'red light' coming out of the audio jack like a laser pointing device. After some searching in forums, i found a fix wherein i manually changed the Cirrus driver setting (turning off the optics and re-calibrating the volume limit). However, this seems to be a short-term solution only, because there is still a faint crackling sound emanating from my internal speakers whenever i'm running Windows in BC. I'm running SL 10.6.

Feedback appreciated. Thanks.

2. tarasis macrumors 6502a

tarasis

Having just installed Bootcamp on Windows XP on an i7 27" iMac, I don't think they've fixed the problem with the Cirrus chipset.

It would appear to have a similar problem, there is a lot of highend in the sound, little bass and very "tang" sounding. The iMac appears to also use the Cirrus audio device

3. razorboy1969 thread starter macrumors newbie

razorboy1969

i see. it's pretty clear that the Cirrus driver is the culprit, but i think it is Apple's responsibility to come out with an update / fix / statement regarding this issue. in addition to the annoying sound (like little insects scurrying inside the keyboard), i'm worried that it might damage the internal speakers in the long run.

4. noahcoad macrumors newbie

noahcoad

Adjust Playback Enhancements

Personally I found that adjusting the Playback Enhancements made all the difference for me. I had the latest drivers with Boot Camp 3.3. Info here: http://coad.cc/Npn6wd