WinXP-bootable expresscard34 eSATA?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by gabedamien, Oct 31, 2007.

1. gabedamien macrumors member

gabedamien

Hello,

I am cross-posting this from my original thread in the MacBook & MacBook Pro forum.

As listed in my profile I have a new (Oct. 1) MBP 17", 2.4GHz/4GB, with 160GB 7200RPM internal drive.

I've searched high and low, for quite a while, for a straightforward answer to the following question: is there any eSATA expresscard34 device that is compatible with Mac, and which is bootable (preferably Windows XP, but maybe Vista)?

I've seen at least one person manage this with Vista, but the extensive workarounds and manual driver hacking and BIOS flashing and legacy EFI emulation modes and whatevermajigs made me want to cry. I'm willing to tolerate a certain amount of hoop-jumping, such as the tricks to install Windows XP to any external drive (using bootcamp for the firmware/drivers, but installing directly from the XP CD). However, the simpler the better, and I'd prefer not to have to get into outrageous things like removing internal drives and installing from a separate computer, etc.

If this works right, I'd have an external hard drive connected via eSATA through the expresscard34 adapter, running Windows XP, maybe even thinking it's an internal drive (it'd be a form of SATA after all). I'm under the impression that the theoretical throughput would be higher than the MBP's internal drive, even! But it seems so hard to get a straight answer on if there even exists an easily bootable expresscard34 eSATA adapter.

Thanks in advance for your help,
    -GLL

[Edit: also, I've just discovered Other World Computing, which lists several devices; it explicitly says the FirmTek adapter is not bootable, but it doesn't have a similar warning for these three devices. Does that mean those 3 are bootable? And I noticed their prices were widely different, but their specs were similar; what am I missing there?]

2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

No, assume that none of the cards is bootable.

3. gabedamien thread starter macrumors member

gabedamien

Thanks CanadaRAM for the near-instant reply, even if the message itself is disappointing news. :)