WinXP not installing

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by zephonic, Mar 7, 2012.

1. zephonic macrumors 65816

zephonic

I have an old copy of WinXP-SP2 that I want to install on my '09 MacPro.

I have had this copy of WinXP on my trusty old '07 iMac for many years and it has worked flawlessly...well, as flawless as WinXP gets, anyway.

I have four hdd's on my MacPro, one of them dedicated to a clone of my old system and bootcamp. I let Bootcamp Assistant handle the partitioning (it will not work with pre-partitioned disks) and follow the instructions.

Upon inserting the WinXP CD, the system restarts and begins to setup, but after a while and a lot of activity I get a screen that asks me to either:

- press 'enter' to install
    - press 'F3' to quit
    - press 'r' to do something else, I forgot what and didn't write that down.

No matter how many times I press 'return' or 'enter' (numpad), nothing happens. Pressing 'F3' does not do anything either. The only option left is a hard reset (hold power button) and quickly eject the CD after power on.

Now, everymac.com states that WinXP should be supported with my MacPro, but Bootcamp Assistant DID say I need Windows 7. I'm not gonna fork out $199 just to play old games.

What gives???

System specs:

'09 MacPro 2.66GHz quad (Xeon W3520) Nehalem
    12 GB RAM
    1x640GB, 3x 1TB HDD
    nVidia GT120-512MB GPU

OSX 10.6.8

WinXP SP2

2. wackymacky macrumors 68000

wackymacky

You didn't update bootcamp from 3.2 to 3.3 when you went to 10.6.8 did you? It Does'nt support windows XP.

3. zephonic thread starter macrumors 65816

zephonic

Shucks, is that what that is? Any way I can downgrade to 3.2?