WinXP/SP3 and Fusion

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by lugesm, May 18, 2008.

1. lugesm macrumors 6502a

lugesm

I have been running WinXP with Fusion 1.1.1 on my iMac with great results for several months. Couldn't be happier. :)

Recently I note that WinXP SP3 is available for download, but a search of the Internet turns up a lot of negative comments about SP3. Because of this I have been reluctant to download the "final" service pack for XP.

Is anyone else running XP with SP3 with Fusion 1.1.1 ???
    Any problems, cautions, issues?

Thanks,
    L

2. italiano40 macrumors 65816

italiano40

I am running Boot camp XP SP3 with fusion and it works like a dream for me
    but it is a risk you take it could break your fusion machine

3. lugesm thread starter macrumors 6502a

lugesm

!!!!! :(

Really? Please tell me more.

4. italiano40 macrumors 65816

italiano40

5. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Couldn't you take a snapshot of your virtual machine before you install sp3? That way if things get worse, then you could roll back.

6. lugesm thread starter macrumors 6502a

lugesm

CONCLUSION:

OK. I took the plunge around 2AM and downloaded SP3. Everything went exactly as prescribed, and I ran the normal checks afterwards to confirm that nothing bad had happened.

The few Windows programs I have installed under WinXP all operated normally after the install of SP3. :)

Took your advice and did the "snapshot" thing before starting, but I didn't need it after all.

Hope this string is helpful for anyone else with doubts about the installation of SP3 under Fusion 1.1.1.

Thanks for all your comments.
    L

7. mreg376 macrumors 6502a

Fusion is up to version 1.1.2. Don't know if the update affects the above issue, however.

8. lugesm thread starter macrumors 6502a

lugesm

Thanks .

Yes, I am aware of that; but my system is running perfectly with Fusion 1.1.1. Not sure what 1.1.2 fixes, but it apparently does not affect my operation.
    I don't want to rock the boat just yet. ;)

9. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I'd hang on to the snapshot for a few days, maybe even longer. Sometimes issues don't show up right away. Glad to hear things are working though.

10. lugesm thread starter macrumors 6502a

lugesm

Good advice. I plan to leave the snapshot stored indefinitely unless some other problem arises.

By the way, I am neutral on "sigs" . . . I just use mine to define my complete Mac configuration when I ask a question on the forum. ;) Thanks again for your comments.

11. VideoFreek macrumors 6502

VideoFreek

One of the things addressed in 1.1.2 is support for running XP SP3 from Bootcamp partitions. More on the 1.1.2 update here.