Wipe 2007 imac for resale w/o working optical drive?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by sorbonny, Jul 18, 2013.

1. sorbonny macrumors newbie

I've found instructions re wiping an imac for resale, but all I've seen call for the startup discs. I think I've got the disc somewhere, but the optical drive hasn't worked for years.

Can anyone tell me or point me toward a way of wiping the imac clean without the disc? Thanks

2. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

Buy a cheap external drive. Can be had on Amazon or Best Buy. Then you can keep it or send it with when you sell.

3. Nin3teen macrumors member

4. Ralphalph macrumors member

Ralphalph

5. sorbonny thread starter macrumors newbie

6. sorbonny thread starter macrumors newbie

Just a thought - I'm selling this in-family so I'm not especially worried - is there some measure short of a total wipe that might be OK, or is this the way to go no matter who you're passing the computer on to?

7. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

If you got another Mac with optical drive, you can use target disk mode to use it as external dvd drive.

8. johncon macrumors newbie

It's just Mountain Lion and beyond that that model will not run. I'm running Lion just fine on my Late 2006 iMac.

9. Nin3teen macrumors member

Then it's easy to do. I've used this app many times before for Lion and Mountain Lion. Easily walks you through how to make a USB boot disk.
    All you need is to download the app, and have a blank, 8GB thumb drive handy.

http://liondiskmaker.com