Wipe data after 10 failed passcode attempts

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by WhySoSerious, Sep 12, 2008.

1. WhySoSerious macrumors 65816

WhySoSerious

what's the point of this? please explain.

if I, myself, fail to input my code 10 times and it asks me to wipe my data, i'll say "no".

if my phone is stolen and the thief fails to input the code 10 times and it asks to wipe the data, they can say "no".

i don't get it.

2. Amt macrumors regular

Does it actually ask you? Or does it just do it?

3. appledrone macrumors regular

i think that you have the option to switch this feature on in the settings, it wont ask you to wipe after 10 fails, it will just do it

4. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

Right. It's an option you turn on in settings, but once you've entered the passcode wrong ten times, it won't give you a way to stop it.

Now, if you still have the phone, or have the phone again, you can just sync it again, and all will be restored, but it's a good feature to prevent ID theft, and I'm happy it's available.

BTW, here's the discussion about it. ;) http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=561173

5. WhySoSerious thread starter macrumors 65816

WhySoSerious

ahh, i see now. thanks guy/gals for elaborating on it for me!

ok, so i lose my phone; the finder of the phone enters the code inaccurately 10 times; iphone AUTOMATICALLY WIPES without prompting, right?

so, let's say i get my phone back, i just plug it into itunes and click "restore"?

it's that simple?

if so, i think i'll love this feature!