Wipe for resale

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rpearlberg, Aug 11, 2014.

1. rpearlberg macrumors 6502a

I've backed up my data, now what?

I want to reset my MBP to original settings before I ship it.

Thanks!!

2. T5BRICK macrumors G3

T5BRICK

3. HBP macrumors member

4. velvetlounger macrumors member

velvetlounger

I am also wanting to wipe my old MBP prior to selling it. The instructions above work for reinstalling the OS. What is the best way to clear all the installed programs etc.

When I did the above it reinstalled the OS, but maintained all my installed apps

Thanks

5. HBP macrumors member

When reinstalling, go to disk utility first and format the drive.

6. ixxx69 macrumors 65816

And as HBP suggested previously, do a secure erase (1-pass should be fine) using disk utility.

7. poematik13 macrumors 6502a

Format the disk and reinstall os x from a thumb drive

or if you wanna spend some money you can just take the hard drive out, and put a new one in and install a fresh copy of os x. then you can charge a little more too, because it has a new drive. keep your old one and put it into an enclosure

8. 12dylan34 macrumors 6502a

You can't just open up Disk Utility and erase the drive. You should boot into the recovery partition.

First, you need to reboot your Mac into the recovery partition. Restart while holding command+R to do that. Then choose "Disk Utility," then choose your drive from the list on the left, go to the "erase" tab, and that'll wipe it.

After that, reboot it, and it'll go into internet recovery mode. It downloads the OS, and guides you through installation from there.

That's it.

9. velvetlounger macrumors member

velvetlounger

Ok, Wiped the drive. Now waiting 23 hours to download and install. Time for bed then checking back tomorrow. Thanks all!

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If its an SSD you don't need to and to be honest you don't want too, as it will only cause excessive write cycles.

11. HBP macrumors member

2010 MBP didn't come with stock SSD's, OP didn't indicate an upgrade.

12. ixxx69, Aug 12, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2014

ixxx69 macrumors 65816

Not true about the excessive write cycles.

(edit: and since someone will refute me, I'll add that yes, if you wiped your drive every day, it will eventually wear out the drive faster... but doing it once for resale, etc., is not something to worry about)

13. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

It is kind of a non-issue. If you go to secure erase your Apple flash storage with Disk Util you will find the option is greyed out (blocked).

What I have suggested to users if there is a concern is to encrypt the drive with Filevault, then afterward erase the disk, so even if someone manages to recover anything it would be encrypted and inaccessible.