Resolved Wiped harddrive, can't reboot OS

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by dlwelch91, Jun 8, 2015.

1. dlwelch91 macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

I was trying to reinstall OS Yosemite on my computer. So I restarted the computer opening up disk utility. When I did that, I erased my Macintosh HD completely. From there, I think I was supposed to reinstall Yosemite immediately from the reinstall button, however I accidentally restarted my computer. Now, whenever I boot my mac, the only thing that appears is a blue folder with a question mark. When I try to reenter disk utility mode to install Yosemite, it doesn't work.

I even tried to reinstall OS Leopard from an old installation disk I had but that didn't work either. It seems that my hard drive is completely wiped and I have no idea how to reinstall the operating system. If anyone can help me, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

2. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Hold Cmd+R on startup. It should boot into Internet Recovery if it can't find the recovery partition, and then you can reinstall it that way.

EDIT: if that doesn't work, try hold Cmd+Alt+R on startup.

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Try holding the option key at boot and see if the recovery HD partition is there to select as the boot source. That should get you back to that install screen where you were.

4. dlwelch91 thread starter macrumors newbie

That did it, thanks a lot mate