Wiped iPhone for 4th time in 3 weeks..

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by whooleytoo, Aug 18, 2008.

1. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

My iPhone restarted & hung again last week (this time, it restarted when it wasn't even being used! Went to turn the kettle on and when I came back it was on the Apple screen).

This time, it hung so badly I couldn't even put it into recovery mode (by holding Home-Wake for about a week). However, I did read another tip where holding Home as you hook it up to sync it will also put it into recovery mode, and that worked. Phew!

I had problems previously with restores hanging, so this time I ignored previous backups and set it up as a new, clean device, and no hangs since.

I did lose all of my data - game progress etc, except Aurora Feint, which must store game progress on their server, so I could just resume the last game where I left off. Thank you AF! Hopefully more iPhone developers will take note!!!!

2. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Were you able to restore, then retrieve back-up from your computer?

3. whooleytoo thread starter macrumors 603

whooleytoo

On the previous occasions I was, but when the iPhone was fouling up this often, I wanted to start from scratch.

I remember it did freeze up previously (either during a back-up or restore I don't recall), but seemed to work fine afterwards. So, it's possible the back-up was corrupted and every time I restored the iPhone I was just "reinstalling" the problem.

Hopefully, it'll be stable now with a clean setup and safe backup. Fingers crossed.

4. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I hear ya' b/c I took one back and the Genius suggested that I start from scratch, in case there was a software glitch that remained with the back-up on my computer. Good luck...