Resolved Wiped out my partition table?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Zeke D, Jul 28, 2012.

1. Zeke D, Jul 28, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2012

Zeke D macrumors 6502a

Zeke D

I was messing with Ubuntu trying to get it on my eMac. The installer crashed and looks like it wiped out the partition table. When I boot with my leopard install disc, there are no partitions. Any way to get them back?

2. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

The Partition section under Disk Utility? (Next to First Aid / Erase)

3. Zeke D thread starter macrumors 6502a

Zeke D

Right, it shows no partitions.

4. tom vilsack macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

Boot your mac with osx disk...Select Disc Utility, select your hard-drive (not a partition of the drive), from the left-hand menu, select the 'Partition' tab and choose '1 Partition', click 'Options', select 'Apple Partition Map' and hit go. Once complete quit Disc Utility and complete the install

5. Zeke D thread starter macrumors 6502a

Zeke D

I know how to install and partition the disc, what I want to know is if there is a reliable way to recover the existing partition? If not how do I restore from my time capsule?

6. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

The Time Capsule you do when you've done installing Leopard, it'll ask you if you want to restore.

If the partition is gone, it's gone.

7. alexreich macrumors 6502a

alexreich

Exactly. If the partition isn't there, there isn't a recovery process. Hopefully you made a Time Machine backup so you can just re-partition your disk, load Leopard, and get back to computing...

8. PowerPCMacMan macrumors 6502a

PowerPCMacMan

Worse case scenario

If you can't seem to get back your data at all and you made no attempt of backing up using Time Machine, you might be sol. HOWEVER, if you did NOT manage to allow the system to OVERWRITE the Mac OS X partition, you might be able to use Prosoft Data Rescue to try and retrieve all your lost files. Its a 50/50 chance.

But, so long as you keep the machine on and allow the drive to continue to write over what was your partition, your data might not be totally recoverable which you would have to start all over again and try to find those lost programs on the web again.

Usually, when I try to install Linux or another flavor of BSD, I take out my main OS X hard drive and only work with one dedicated drive, that way nothing will get messed up.

Even though most install Linux/BSD by partitioning part of the drive, its best to install on a dedicated drive as things can get complicated and result in POTENTIAL data loss.

This seems to be the case, for now until you run Data Rescue.

9. Zeke D thread starter macrumors 6502a

Zeke D

I have backups stored on the tc, an external fw drive and another raid 1 NAS.

10. alexreich macrumors 6502a

alexreich

Good. Should just be a simple reinstall of OS and restore of TM backup.

11. Zeke D thread starter macrumors 6502a

Zeke D

I already used disk utility to restore the tiger partition. I guess I didn't have my Leo image, so I will just install and restore via TM.