Wipeout HD

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by gloss, Sep 28, 2008.

1. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

2. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

I did, its pretty fun. What all did you want to know about it?

3. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

The images from photo mode look AWESOME. I want it...

4. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Fast paced and colorful....very good game. I haven't gotten too deep into it but what I've played so far is good.

Bless

5. calintz macrumors member

is it a mix of tracks from Pulse and Pure?
    or are older wipeout tracks featured?

6. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

I guess you can tell I am definitely not a gamer.

I was thinking in terms of using Disk Utilities (Mac) or KillDisk (PC) to securely erase, as in wipe or wipe out, a HD. :)

Having said that, I have now visited the site and the game looks interesting.

7. capoeirista macrumors 6502

Most importantly... Is 'Chemical Beats' by the Chemical Brothers on the soundtrack? Goodness that takes me back to my mates 1st year uni room playing this on his big tv...

8. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

Best WipEout yet, as far as i can see, its all the tracks from Pure and Pulse, but of course, in glorious 1080p 60FPS Locked.

9. Rivix macrumors 6502a

Rivix

LOVE IT

Its really amazing. I'm a but underwhelmed by the lack of customization in the campaign, but the difficulty is addicting and trophies will have me playing it for a while.

Anyone play online yet? My PSN ID is Rivix.

10. cal6n macrumors 68000

cal6n

Awesome game. I've been playing since Thursday evening.

It's 6 "Pure" and 2 "Pulse" tracks, plus the reverses. None of the classics yet, but there's a strong possibility of download-able content later on. Let's hope so.

The music is all remixes of "Pure" and "Pulse" too, as far as I can tell. Good news is that you can race to custom playlists on your PS3 and you can rip the soundtracks from your old PS1 wipeouts as if they were audio CDs. I've got all the music from the original trinity in a single playlist!

There's no customisation in the campaign mode but, as you progress through the game, more aspects are added to the "racebox". This is fairly customisable, even having on-line records for every possible race.

I haven't done much online racing yet. My PSN ID is "nanotechnome", though.

Did I mention it's awesome, by the way?

11. Rivix macrumors 6502a

Rivix

I was kinda hoping for more ship customization. I know you can have three skins per vehicle (plus the bonus at the end of the game...) but I want more!

As for downloadable content, I'm sure they have tracks and new vehicles coming. Do they still refer to this as a "prequel" game and their working on the larger retail WipEout PS3?

I'll add you Cal6n and anyone who drops the PSN ID.

12. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

They never referred to this as a prequel. This is the full game, and I am sure that there will be many an opportunity to spend money on new pixel-ware.

13. Rivix macrumors 6502a

Rivix

I did hear some reference to this game being a prequel, like GT5 Prologue. That might have been when it was first announced and things might have changed.

14. Saladinos macrumors 68000

Saladinos

Love this game. Well priced, great gameplay, long lifespan.

The superb visuals just make you love the game even more. This is how WipEout should be played.

If you're on the fence: get it. It's so worth it.

15. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

I think I'll get it when I get my next paycheck. (err.... I think that would be this Friday)

16. gloss thread starter macrumors 601

gloss

Yeah, it's pretty money. Gorgeous visuals, custom soundtracks (hint: download the complete Wipeout soundtracks and put 'em all on shuffle), excellent controls...happy gamer. The course designs are a hoot, too. I never get sick of hitting a boost off of the big drop in Sebenco Climb - I don't think I've had a rush like that since the first time I played Hydro Thunder back in the day.

17. Rivix macrumors 6502a

Rivix

Anyone know how to do a barrel roll on Moa Therma (I think thats the level)?

18. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

I know it's just a rehash of two PSP games I already have [Pulse and Pure] and that the racing really hasn't evolved much through the years since the awesome original hit PS1, but DAAAAAAAAAMN this is a frickin' sweet game.

I love the Zone courses. By the time you hit zone 20 or so you're moving so fast that all it takes is one wrong twitch and you can bounce off the sides until you've lost half your ship's defense. Getting gold in a Zone course is a nice achievement.
    I'll have to practice a bit more before I go online and get slaughtered.:)

19. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

Downloading!! Too bad my internet has been going slow lately...

20. gloss thread starter macrumors 601

gloss

I can't think of any point on the level where you'd be able to.

21. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

Why would you? A trophy?

Any spots where you can just fall off the level? Haha.

So I played it a bunch. I did about 4 racebox races, 2 campaigns, and an online match. Amazing game. I loved the PSP versions and this has such better controls. The photo mode is sweet too.
    http://img.skitch.com/20081005-p2ex37rer93mndnmmcx3fb458i.jpg

22. Rivix macrumors 6502a

Rivix

Yeah, trophy. And I think it has to be a successful barrel roll. I'm still oblivious of how to do it.

The game is getting quite difficult on campaign. I'm on the second last grid and having trouble getting enough points to advance.

Anyone who can get all the trophies is a god.

I hear turning motion control on is better. I might try it.

23. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

Hi, Rivix. IH8YOU here. We've played a bit online. :D

Flatland Flyer -- Moa Therma. Hit up speed lap in race box, to give yourself many un-interrupted chances, and save that turbo. On the last hard right corner right after the little whoop-de-doos (before the slight left near the straightaway @ the finish) -- you know, THAT corner. Anyhow, if you bank up HIGH on the outside wall, and hit the turbo and aim the ship straight towards the finish line (with total disregard to the little squiggle to the right) - you'll catch some air, JUST long enough to roll it.

Since getting it, I've also gotten serious air on that last corner, by going to the outside edge (to the left) and hitting the turbo and nailing the wall - sometimes it'll launch you straight up and you'll get some massive air.

Just be advised, it won't count if you don't land on the track. (so try like hell to stay within the lanes)

Now, if you can tell me how to shave 2 full seconds off my Anulpha Pass lap time, to beat Zico, I'd GREATLY appreciate it. It sucks having best lap time in global, and STILL being 2 seconds behind. I managed to shave off 1/2 second by doing a barrel roll going from the track TO the little straight-track to the right. But in spite of hitting ALL the speed pads, NO braking, no hitting any wall, and rolling twice per lap - I'm still painfully slow. Zico is a bigger (@*# than I am.

Oh yes, and ditto the game looking AMAZING, it also SOUNDS amazing in 5.1. I can't stay away from it. :eek:

24. Rivix macrumors 6502a

Rivix

Big-TDI-Guy (IH8YOU) you seam like a pro player. I've looked through your trophies and you have more than i'll every have.

The difficulty is really starting to bother me. Im stuck on the Uplift grid. Why did they make this game so hard?!