Wiping a Mac - Install OS/Software - Play Welcome Movie again?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by JustGretchen, Apr 2, 2009.

1. JustGretchen macrumors 6502

I'm helping a friend out who's selling a Mac with legit copies of Leopard, iLife, iWork, and CS3 loaded on. We are supplying the disks and original packaging to the buyer as well.

We're wondering if there's a way we can install all of that software from the disks, setup the person's user account with the info they provided us and at the very least, set the computer/Leopard to play the "Welcome to OS X" movie again one time.

If possible, we'd like it to take the user through the initial setup again too, but I don't see how that could be possible considering you have to have a user account setup to install programs.

Thanks for any ideas you guys may have.

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Well, you can replay the welcome movie like this, but I don't know how you could get the user account setup to run again. You can simply hold the power button after the installer goes to restart to leave the machine in the state it ships with new, but you won't be able to install software that way.

Now, you should be able to install iWork manually if you boot the computer to target disk mode and use Pacifist to manually install to the drive. The serial number is stored in the file /Library/Preferences/com.apple.iWork09.plist. I've attached a copy of mine, with serial removed of course. Putting the serial in and copying it to the above directory should be enough to register without having to go in manually.

I can't think how to install CS4, though. It gets everywhere, and simply telling it to install to another drive is no good because it would still install all of the fiddly little user bits to the running machine.

Attached Files:

3. RedAntArmy macrumors newbie

4. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Ah, excellent. I suspected there might be an easier way. :)

5. JustGretchen thread starter macrumors 6502

Fantastic. Thanks so much. I wonder if that'd work for the adobe apps or not though...

Btw bluerevolution. Retail iwork is not serialized.... You have demo and bought a key? Or what?

6. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

It should work with the Adobe apps - if you can create a new user, and it can still run Adobe with no problems, then it should work with the method above.

Awesome guide by the way, I wish I knew about it before!

7. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Yeah, there's no Apple Store near me.

My suggestion probably won't apply to a retail copy, then, but the link provided by RedAntArmy looks promising.

8. JustGretchen thread starter macrumors 6502

9. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

Wow that is a great link thank you for that great read