Wiping a mid-2010 iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Razeus, Oct 19, 2012.

1. Razeus macrumors 603

If things pan out next week, my mid-2010 is going to be sold. But since I have ML on it, is it easy for me to go back and re install, fresh install, Snow Leopard (or is it Leopard, I can't remember) or do I have to do something special since Apple changed something since then?

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

If you have the original OS DVD that came with the machine... yes it is easy.

Just insert the DVD then reboot while holding the C key. Then start Disk Utility from the Utilities menu in the install screen and select the hard drive name (like Seagate 320GB or whatever) and reformat the entire drive as Mac OS Extended. It is important to select the drive name and not Macintosh HD when doing this or you will be left with a ML Recovery HD partition.

Then quit disk util and proceed with the install.

3. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

Note that you'll want to use disk utility to actually zero out the drive (preferably 7 passes) before you install the OS; otherwise, a clever computer forensic will still be able to get at your data.

4. hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

Actually, 1 pass zero data should be fine, unless he is known to keep top-secret military data on his computer. ;) :cool: :)