Wiping an iBook that doesn't startup from disk and needs a password for option key

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Davmeister, May 7, 2009.

1. Davmeister macrumors 6502

Davmeister

So I have this old iBook from school they are throwing away, but I want to wipe it so I can use it. I can't log on to it, as I need to be into the school network; it just comes up to the login window with Username and Password. So doing anything within finder is a nono.

Startup holding down C--no worky, they must have stopped that from happening. Holding down option at startup results in it going to a big padlock with a bar for a password and an arrow. I don't have the password.

I have 10.5 install DVD, and old iMac G5 panther install DVDs, but these are useless I would imagine.

Challenge: wipe the mac. Get me to be able to use it as normal. Do I have to buy a new HD?

Thanks MacRumors.

Tom.

2. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

3. blackhand1001 macrumors 68030

blackhand1001

Hmm, you might be able to take the drive out and reinstall osx on another mac, and then replace it in the ibook.

4. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

5. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

Couldn't you use target mode to wipe the drive. Or would it still come up with a password on the host machine?

6. Jigsawjammer macrumors regular

I think it is blocked still...I'm guessing new HDD?

7. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

I think it's in the firmware, like a BIOS based password on a PC. If that's the case, changing the HDD will have zero effect on the issue.

In the kbb linked to, the prompt window says "open firmware password prevents others from starting your computer with a different disk..."

8. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Follow the directions for getting around the open firmware password.

It should be easy to find, and as easy as changing the amount of RAM.